Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LYFE GETS IN THE WAY !
Wicked tune as per, I can't believe it took me so long to find the whole album FREE to listen to on the band website (link at bottom of next post) pukka mucker

.mp3    LYFE GETS IN THE WAY 1A.mp3 --  (Download: 8.08 MB)

Listening to the second mix - Nice, Mark! Punchy and full. I like the the drum sound especially - It has a cool organic feel to it. Generally levels are really well balanced and nicely controlled.

A few things I noticed:
- The vocals are a little dull in the top end; possibly a little boxy too. When the backgrounds come in toward the end, there is a bit of a buildup of low mids that, and they sound a bit murky. It could be also because I prefer less emphasis on the low register harmony parts.
- The panning overall is very narrow. There are plenty of parts to pan out wider in the choruses but everything sounds a little centred. The impact of the chorus improves in stereo when you pan things out wider IMO - it provides contrast with the verse.
-The mix has a nice full and warm low end, but it feels like it needs "open up" in the top end to balance that out with some clarity and sparkle.

Nice work!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(08-07-2019, 11:17 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: Listening to the second mix - Nice, Mark! Punchy and full. I like the the drum sound especially - It has a cool organic feel to it. Generally levels are really well balanced and nicely controlled.

A few things I noticed:
- The vocals are a little dull in the top end; possibly a little boxy too. When the backgrounds come in toward the end, there is a bit of a buildup of low mids that, and they sound a bit murky. It could be also because I prefer less emphasis on the low register harmony parts.
- The panning overall is very narrow. There are plenty of parts to pan out wider in the choruses but everything sounds a little centred. The impact of the chorus improves in stereo when you pan things out wider IMO - it provides contrast with the verse.
-The mix has a nice full and warm low end, but it feels like it needs "open up" in the top end to balance that out with some clarity and sparkle.

Nice work!
Thanks , your observations cut straight to the core ,what had been staring me in the ear'ole ,but that I had missed , my miscalculations were indeed killing the upper end ,hopefully it is less attenuated now (intentionally a bit on the drums to test the compressors 'tape' emulation) but should have better upper frequency response now, I'm happy you pointed it out after a quick listen ,It's taken me a while to finish all the doo-dads and to get around to DIRECT comparison with other mixes before I noticed, I just 'thought' ? it sounded nice and warm , but , finally I've reached a formula that works consistently
for manipulating the pitch tracking ,It renders of necessity an impression of pitch accuracy while in truth rendering ' flexible 'pitch tracking ,musically relevant output , rather than a static oscilloscope style accuracy .
Thanks again for your critique ,I have got hung up on a single point and must admit being a bit (lot) overwhelmed by your detailed critique which I shall attempt to address point by point in order to try to' do justice 'to this cracker of a song .
Many Thanks ,
and ,
Best Wishes, Mark
p.s.
An Unfortunate side effect of my erratic modus d' operandi is that when you post a critique I keep updating my mixes and by the time i.m aware of a critique I've lost all connection as to which version it is referencing, if I have the good fortune to have your input another time could you include the file name as it should make it easier to identify and address any problems.