Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Back Down! My mixing i NEED your opinion
Hi all, im pretty new at this and i want learn, this is my mix on the track Back Down from Ryan Cali.
I hope you like but overall leave your opinion i feel is good but im pretty sure with your opinion people i can improve it!!

EDIT: i have to say this isn't my first mix, i make beats but is my first time mixing voices and trying to sound better!!

.mp3    Back Down - Ryan Cali.mp3 --  (Download: 5.54 MB)

Vocals are lacking being the center of attention. Not sure if you're using a delay or reverb on the vocal but it at times seems too noticeable in the wrong kind of way. I think the bass is too loud and messing with the vocals. You have stuff panned but the track doesn't feel "wide", it only feels maybe half wide at best.
(30-06-2019, 03:48 AM)rageix Wrote: Vocals are lacking being the center of attention. Not sure if you're using a delay or reverb on the vocal but it at times seems too noticeable in the wrong kind of way. I think the bass is too loud and messing with the vocals. You have stuff panned but the track doesn't feel "wide", it only feels maybe half wide at best.

Thanks for leave your comment, i will check it and upload a revision checking what u say !
Like the overall balance, the vocals are present (just a little sibilant in the verses, a simple de-essing can take care of that), the kick, the synth bass, and the hihats are well balanced too. What I noticed, is the Synth Bass tend to mud the mix when other tracks are present, I think was near 90-170 Hz. this song dont have a bass track. The unprocessed synth bass track, have a weird movement, if you have a Dynamic EQ or Multiband Compressor, you can make that weird movement to stabilize in the sub frequencies below 60 Hz, and suppress a little the mud in the 90-170 Hz.

With HiHats, they have a good volume, the thing is, the original tracks have too much saturation, or well, that is distortion already. The original hihat tracks sound too harsh.You could try to suppress the 04_HiHat and 05_HiHat Tracks harshness with a Low-pass filter (Hi Cut) i think in 12000 Khz with a slope of 24 db/oct as starting point, adjust until you find the sweetspot. You can control the sibilance near 8600 Khz, and a weird resonance in 2700 Khz

The original kick track was squashed to hell, and sound too flat, the kick dont have transients. A way to bring a little life to it, is to making a new transient. With any regular compressor, you can use a slow attack like 60 ms an very fast release, with a 4:1 ratio and hard knee. Adjust the threshold until your ears tell you the sweet-spot. Dont use auto makeup gain, just adjust gain manually.

For vocal doubles, Waves Doubler works wonders, if you have it, try it in a stereo aux and send all doubles to that aux. In this case, you have only one mono track for each vocal double, if you have two or more, you dont need the Waves Doubler.

Good mix, keep it up