Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Song of India mix.
Hi everyone.

This lovely piece of swing is my first mix here - I hope it doesn't hurt anyone's ears!

A few notes on the mix:

The drums were a compromise with so few mics to work with. I felt the hi-hat was really carrying the dynamic in the song, so I tried to get the best out of that, which is slightly to the detriment of the snare and tom - I wish there had been a separate snare mic, but it is what it is.

Most of the mix is simply EQ, mainly to keep the bottom end in check, and panning to get good separation of the instruments - I barely used any compression on the tracks. I think everything is coming through fairly clearly.

I put a little reverb on the drum overheads, and a lot of reverb on the room mics. The room mics are spread out across the stereo field and just loud enough for the reverb to be audible.

On the mix buss I put: a bit of saturation, a small amount of compression, a little bit of stereo expansion, some EQ to keep the low end through the middle, and a limiter to get it up to a decent loudness.

This was an enjoyable session! Everything sounded great already, so not much work was needed to get the mix together - sometimes less is more, right?

.mp3    ABB - Song Of India.mp3 --  (Download: 4.13 MB)