Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ryan Cali: Back Down (analog mix)
I used some analog process, for vocals, bass and kick drum.
The mix is unmastered
Comments are welcome
Compresor de bus SSL, Gates Sta-Level, Dbx 160x, UA 1176, Bae 1073, Lomo Up27, Ear 822Q, IGS Tubecore Mastering Edition, Lexicon PCM 70, Ferrofish A16, SSL Six, Studer Revox B77, Yamaha HS8
And the master
Compresor de bus SSL, Gates Sta-Level, Dbx 160x, UA 1176, Bae 1073, Lomo Up27, Ear 822Q, IGS Tubecore Mastering Edition, Lexicon PCM 70, Ferrofish A16, SSL Six, Studer Revox B77, Yamaha HS8
Like the kick and bass interaction. The piano, like you want it dark, I would eq boost a little less between 300-800 Hz to avoid resonances, If the piano have some transient treatment, a soft knee and a little less attack will give a more natural and round sound. The vocals ... I think there is some phase cancellation, a good way to widen them, is to use plugins like the Waves Doubler in a stereo track or bus, the plugin create two copies or 4 copies of the original signal, an then, you can hard pan the doubles, a good starting point a plus 8 to 10 cents in one double, and less 8 to 10 cents of pitch in the other. Also, you can delay a little bit the doubles to create a Haas Effect. if you don't have the plugin, duplicating the original track works as well.
Thanks for the comments crack (Leonnyxx)
You were absolutely right about the phase cancellation with the main voice and the second voice. I have combined the phase with the Studio One Mixtool. I have downloaded the piano a little bit over 350hz, but I like the punch that the SSL Buss compressor (analog) gives.
Let's see what you think now?
It's just mix without mastering.
Way more better! The vocals now are present and crisp, good work. The piano sounds much better with that 350 little cut!

With the phase I have always had problems and I do not realize, I put the voices in a buss and the Bx control of Brainbox tells me that it is correct, but that there is a hass effect that is annoying to the ear. Thanks for the comments, you have helped me a lot "Crack"
Man, good difference, the bass have more harmonics, good work with the vocals and the vocal doubles, they rock! I forgot to tell, there is a free Tape Emulation plugin, is no like the others, like UAD, Slate Digital, Waves ... I don't know what kind of algorithm it have, but for me, it give a good real tape sound and depth. Try it in your Master or Mix Bus, and boost the <Emphasis> knob. The plugin name is GermanBou Tape Bus. Good work with the mix, you fixed very well that issue with the phase cancellation in the vocals.

http://germanbou.com/tape-bus-plugin/
I'm glad you liked it.
I have a Revox B77, but the tapes are a little old, I have to buy new ones. The 1/4" recorders, they eat a little treble, but it gives good depth, color and also serves as glue. And sometimes I use delay too
For the voices I used a pre-valve (Lomo UP27) Russian from the 60's, very warm and with very creamy highs. Better than Manley, UA 610, Chandler, etc. https://www.hispasonic.com/foros/previo-...eba/518828
But I'll try it, thanks
Final Mix