Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Tyo: 'Oh, Life'_mix Tommy Marcinek
AngelAngelAngel

Nice song!!!! Some cool and interesting challenges in this one. Hope you like it.

Tom

-----------------------UPDATE

Version 7M is offered after some very helpful comments and suggestions from Don and Lukas. Hope you all like it.

Peace,

Tom

.mp3    Oh Life_5M.mp3 --  (Download: 6.61 MB)

.mp3    Oh Life_7M.mp3 --  (Download: 6.61 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Hey Tom,

here is some feedback:

I am not a fan of the vocal processing it sounds kind of robotic and abrasive to me? Is this a very tiny room verb or delay of same sort?
Anyway, If you want to use this effect to achieve a certain atmosphere or creative effect you could leave it as is, otherwise you should revisit that in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the small but very effective acoustic guitar edit at 0:50. Very cool! Smile The treatment of the piano also is great.

The drums samples work for the most part except the snare. I think its a bit hollow sounding and does not blend in.

To me it sounds like you are going for a distorted, squashed sounding chours.
I wonder what the drums would sound like if you squashed them even more and really killed the transient to achieve that Loudness War sound...
Usually I am no fan of this but I suspect it could work here

I think you achieved a distincitve and creative mix of this tune. My only real gripe is the vocal processing on the main vocal. Otherwise a nicely crafted mix.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
(05-06-2019, 08:31 PM)LukasL Wrote: Hey Tom,

here is some feedback:

I am not a fan of the vocal processing it sounds kind of robotic and abrasive to me? Is this a very tiny room verb or delay of same sort?
Anyway, If you want to use this effect to achieve a certain atmosphere or creative effect you could leave it as is, otherwise you should revisit that in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the small but very effective acoustic guitar edit at 0:50. Very cool! Smile The treatment of the piano also is great.

The drums samples work for the most part except the snare. I think its a bit hollow sounding and does not blend in.

I wonder what the drums would sound like if you squashed them even more and really killed the transient to achieve that Loudness War sound...

I think you achieved a distincitve and creative mix of this tune. My only real gripe is the vocal processing on the main vocal. Otherwise a nicely crafted mix.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

------------------
Lukas, thanks for the detailed and thoughtful comments....much appreciated. Yes, I did probably overdo that vocal effect. In other genres it works very well but should have not used it here. Glad you noticed the guitar edit. As you know, there was one note that was rapidly faded in the track which sounded weird. What to do? I had many options but went for the short "reverse" effect to fill in the gap. You missed the vocal edit I did in the very beginning (third or fourth word or so) which had a weird "blurb" sound that had to be dealt with. I carefully borrowed a portion of the note from another section and blended/cross-faded. It took a while to do but to me you can't hear that recorded anomaly on that word anymore.... :-)

Many thanks for the rest of the positive comments you made. I may indeed go back in and mix it again, trying to follow your sage advice on the drum and other issues you mentioned. Again....thanks much. Peace.

Tom

Hey Tom,
Nice solid mix I like it a lot , As previously mentioned maybe the vocal effects could be a touch more subtle .
The Drums translate well on small monitors especially the Kick beater Big Grin.
Nice work
Don

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(09-06-2019, 01:17 PM)thedon Wrote: Hey Tom,
Nice solid mix I like it a lot , As previously mentioned maybe the vocal effects could be a touch more subtle .
The Drums translate well on small monitors especially the Kick beater Big Grin.
Nice work
Don

------------------
Thanks Don....

Will work on this some more. Had to do this with one eye as I had to get an emergency eye surgery for a detached retina about a month ago. I have about 6 more weeks with this gas bubble in my eye and then another weeks/months for vision to stabilize so it's difficult doing mixing!!!!! I can't stand this. To mix a person needs his eyes and ears to do a good job!! If you are a praying man, please send a few my way. I am very nervous about this. Doc is not sure what my vision will ultimately be, etc. Plus, I have stuff going on in my other eye coming down the pike. Yikes.

Peace,

Tom

Hey Tom,
Sorry to hear about your eyes ,we take our eyes and ears for granted !
Hopefully your sight be ok.
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(05-06-2019, 08:31 PM)LukasL Wrote: Hey Tom,

here is some feedback:

Cheers,
LukasAngel
------------------------

Lukas,

Thanks for the props and suggestions. I took them to heart and am about to upload another mix with some changes to reflect your critique. Also, Don had the same thing to say about the vocal processing. You mentioned "samples" as to the drums. I don't know if you mean that you think I added samples or sound-replaced anything - I did not. Those are the original tracks provided. I eq'd the snare a bit better and added some more compression and it sits way better in the mix. I could have automated the volume up a hair in the choruses but, I can't spend too much time on my computer because of an eye surgery I had four weeks ago for a detached retina. Hope you like version 7M, and thanks again for your input.

Tom

(13-06-2019, 11:08 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Tom,
Sorry to hear about your eyes ,we take our eyes and ears for granted !
Hopefully your sight be ok.
Cheers Big Grin

--------------

Don,

Thanks for the well-wishes. I am hopeful. As to the song, I'm about to upload version 7M where I ditched the vocal processing that bothered you and Lukas (you are both right), plus I did some other fixes. Hope you like that version better. Hope all is well with you......I can't listen to all the mixes in here right now...if you and Lukas did mixes, please let me know and when I can I will listen. Can't spend too much time on the computer with my eye situation.

Peace,

Tom