Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix/Master of Trafficker - My Father Never Loved Me
Hi All

I am new here and this is my first official post on this forum.

Today, I bagged myself some new Waves Plugins as they had a 50% off sale across their range of analog modelled audio plug-ins. Copped myself the Studer J37 Tape, SSL4000 Buss Compressor and the NLS Channel for £70 in total =)

Anyway, I thought id put them to use on the multi-track by Trafficker and do some light mixing as I have just finished my first year at University so I have some time to burn at the moment, and I didn't want to waste it particularly on netflix...

I use Ableton Live suite for all my Mixing/Mastering duties (as people on the inter webs would argue, this isn't the right DAW for this job although, I am here to argue this). Since the new update to Ableton Live 10.1 is now available, I thought I would put some of the new audio effects into play such as Channel EQ which I implemented on all Channels along with a Utility and Gates, and a Compressor (De-esser on the Hammond Organ).

Once all the Tracks had been loaded up into Ableton, I set all the channel faders to -12dB to free up some headroom and so that the Waves Plug-ins which have a VU meter bridge wouldn't be consistently in the red. I then Grouped the Drums into a Drum Bus, Overheads and Room tracks into a Drums Ambience group, Bass and Electric guitars in to groups and so on.

Anyway, I could write an entire report of the process such as side-chaining the Snare drum to trigger a gate on the overheads, but i feel that no many people will read through that so I will just leave my Bounced Mix, and Master Mix here for you to comment any feedback on.

Many Thanks

Waves Plug-ins used:

- NLS Channel (Nevo setting, Neve console)
- SSL 4000 Buss Compressor
- SSL 4000 G channel (Vocal)
- Softube Saturation Knob (after a ableton live reverb long ambience return track)
- Studer J37 Tape (few of these, one on the master bus and a few for adding depth and flutter to electric guitars and high end excitation)
- Schepps 73 (Neve 1073 Channel EQ)
- BSS DPR-402 Stereo Bus Compressor (Parallel Drum Compression)

.mp3    master Mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.78 MB)

Music is the remedy to all of the worlds problems.
Mix sounding ok PS, but there is something real fishing going on with the overheads. They are sounding washed out and possible phasey not to mention a little over emphasised. Did you process these with the drums or with the ambience tracks. You maybe better processing them with the drums if it was the later. It'll be worth going back in a seeing what the issue is, even have a listen to some other mixes of this song for comparison.

Dave
(06-06-2019, 11:49 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Mix sounding ok PS, but there is something real fishing going on with the overheads. They are sounding washed out and possible phasey not to mention a little over emphasised. Did you process these with the drums or with the ambience tracks. You maybe better processing them with the drums if it was the later. It'll be worth going back in a seeing what the issue is, even have a listen to some other mixes of this song for comparison.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback, Although I have looked back at the mix and all i have done is apply a gentle squeeze compressor and a channel eq to the OH so much processing was done to that track. Ive flipped the polarity using a utility and there doesn't seem to be much difference what so ever.

Maybe the compression is killing the dynamic range, but the setting is only a 1.5:1 ratio with a 1ms attack and 100ms release with the threshold at -8dB.

Ill rework the mix and possibly remove the room mic. as im not too happy with that tracks overall sound anyway. and see if that makes a difference
(07-06-2019, 08:04 AM)Pulsewidth_Soundsystem Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 11:49 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Mix sounding ok PS, but there is something real fishing going on with the overheads. They are sounding washed out and possible phasey not to mention a little over emphasised. Did you process these with the drums or with the ambience tracks. You maybe better processing them with the drums if it was the later. It'll be worth going back in a seeing what the issue is, even have a listen to some other mixes of this song for comparison.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback, Although I have looked back at the mix and all i have done is apply a gentle squeeze compressor and a channel eq to the OH so much processing was done to that track. Ive flipped the polarity using a utility and there doesn't seem to be much difference what so ever.

Maybe the compression is killing the dynamic range, but the setting is only a 1.5:1 ratio with a 1ms attack and 100ms release with the threshold at -8dB.

Ill rework the mix and possibly remove the room mic. as im not too happy with that tracks overall sound anyway. and see if that makes a difference

Removed room mic. think that was the problem

.mp3    Trafficker - My Father Never Loved Me.mp3 --  (Download: 7.79 MB)

Much better PS. although I still feel that they are too loud. If you turn the mix right down towards silence you'll here just how dominate they still are. try balancing them at a much lower volume. You're monitoring may be letting you down here also. This is where referencing may help. Good work in cleaning them up.