Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
FORKUPINES (FINAL MIX2 & extra tracks)
I'm late I only got around to checking out the final version. I really like the overall 'weight' of the mix. It feels very solid. I think it could be a bit more dynamic. Right now it feels compressed and tamed. I'm not a fan of the kick tone but maybe it's genre appropriate and it does fit with the rest of the kit.
I like the "bridge". The overall tone of that section works well with the other sections of the song. The vocal in the bridge seem to jump around in level a bit and could be evened out. Sounds good.
Update final2 mix
(01-06-2019, 11:59 PM)FytaKyte Wrote:
Quote:Last but not least.. i'm 30 years old.. i'm noticing my right ear is loosing low end reference on the music.

Ok, here's the thing: Raw physical hearing prowess has very little to do with the art of mixing. If it did, all the best mix engineers would be under 20 years of age, when one's hearing is at it's peak sensitivity.

Not so. Hearing loss of any extent, will impair judgement.

Put a low pass, high cut filter on a master, at say 8kHz, with even a modest Q of 12dB/Oct. This is how someone with early hearing loss will be experiencing a mix. This would appear normal to them.

It can show itself in mixmasters in the form or excessive sibilance, clipping distortion and other unpleasant non-linear artifacts. Also there's a tendency for excessive compression, because reduced dynamics help the hearing impaired who wouldn't ordinarily hear the subtle nuances. Then there's hard brickwall limiting, poor audio recording quality such as aliasing, excessive harmonics which are brittle, harsh and fatiguing to those of us with unimpaired hearing. Just some examples.

Quote:That is clearly not the case. Many, if not most of the current top mixing and mastering engineers have at least 20, 30, sometimes even 40 years on you, Shul!

You are comparing apples with oranges. Professional engineers know how to preserve their hearing. And it is possible to minimise the onset of ARHL, for example, by reducing daily noise exposures.

Musicians who start mixing, are highly likely to already be suffering from NIHL, based merely on statistical probability.

Quote:As the son of an Audiologist, I became aware many years ago that age-related hearing loss is an inevitable fact of life that no one can avoid, no matter how much they protect their hearing.

Age Related Hearing Loss has nothing to do with NIHL (Noise Induced Hearing Loss), which is a disease affecting THE MAJORITY OF MUSICIANS, according to a research paper in the public domain.

Furthermore, another report claims that at least 1-in-5 teenagers suffer from NIHL because of changes in modern day lifestyles. Earbuds, headphone usage, gigs, street noise, powerful car audio systems, powerful home audio systems, etc, are some of the many contributing factors.

Quote:My point is (and again this was made clear to me by my Dad's work experience) that your brain trumps your raw hearing ability every time. The brain has an amazing ability to adjust and compensate for age-related hearing loss, and that is why the famous dudes who are in their 50s-70s are still able to crank out amazingly musical mixes.

You are confusing facts.

Yes, a training in Critical Listening Skills can help the brain focus on a voice in a crowded room a little better than someone without critical listening skills.

HOWEVER, if you can't hear 8kHz, you can't effectively balance the cymbals, shakers, upper harmonics, sibilance, upper treble range, judge air, finer details of ambiance and reverb, etc etc. And if you can't mix this zone, you can't mix the rest because changing the attributes of one part of a mix affects all others.

Another point you are likely confusing, is that musicians with impaired hearing (whatever the cause), can still make reasonable judgements on pitch. But judging pitch has little-to-no relevance when judging and assessing spectral balance, compression, EQ, reverb, depth, etc. There's a research paper on this too! Tongue

Quote:Of course, there is a point where profound deafness creeps in, but I'm betting that is a long way off for you.

Be sensible with protecting your hearing now to stave off any further damage. However, I'd venture to say that allowing doubts raised about your physical hearing ability and/or your monitoring to cause you to succumb to a crisis of confidence is far more damaging to your mixing ability than any slight hearing loss.

IF he, or anyone else is suffering from NIHL (or even if not!), the mere fact they are using headphones/buds, can help induce and/or speed up NIHL because of the colossal SPL they create from the close proximity to the ear canal. It is impossible to assess reliably audio levels due to calibration issues. The brain cannot be trusted to make a decision about how loud things are. This too has been proven by research Tongue

Headphones and buds can and will quickly induce hearing fatigue, which encourages even louder listening levels. This adds to their hazardous credentials. Again, research concludes Tongue

If a mixer and/or musician can't afford to get their hearing checked, they are playing a game of Russian Roulette.

By the time you notice something is wrong, it's too late. The only reason George Martin (the 5th Beatle) knew he was in big trouble, was when the engineer was calibrating the tape machine with a 10kHz tone. The meter was moving, but he couldn't hear the signal.

There's a big mess out here, and people like you aren't helping in this so-called educational forum, by making profoundly inaccaurate, misleading statements.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Great mix Shul! I aggree with Dangerous above. I think his adjustments makes your song more polished. Maybe a little harsh but it is on the right way! Overall u did a really good mix!
(26-05-2021, 02:59 PM)Andreas Tyranopoulos Wrote: Great mix Shul! I aggree with Dangerous above. I think his adjustments makes your song more polished. Maybe a little harsh but it is on the right way! Overall u did a really good mix!
It's been so long since i've heard this mix.. thanks for the input.. i still think the balances are good.. something about it sounding too soft though i can't say what. I don't have the project in my pc.. perhaps i'll revisit this.