Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix of Signs
Hello hello .

Did this mix on my spare time over the last few days, and am relatively pleased. I did one thing very differently from most of the other mixes I've heard; I left the verse vocals dry as a bone. Kinda like the way it cuts like that.

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.

As a final note, I did nothing to trim down the end or neaten it up yet. I'll get to that in the future, but figured I'd wait to "toy" with the arrangement and how to end the tune until I got some feedback on the direction of my mix so far.

Thanks all!

Grizzy

.mp3    Zeno_Signs_Stereo_Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 3.59 MB)

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

The intro and verses sound great. One general comment for the vocals would be to add a de-esser to tame the sssss, teee, and ffffff sounds.
The chorus guitars seem 1 or 2 dBs on the loud side, and the chorus vocal needs more low end so it is similar in tone to the verse singer. I like the blend you got between the snare and claps, but maybe turn down the claps a little during the verses.
Hey Dan. Thanks for the listen and feedback! Much appreciated.

Its been a while since I posted this one, so it gave me a reminder to go back and take a listen. In reading your first comment about deessing, I immediately remembered that giving me problems with this song. I have to say though that in relistening now, it didn't bother me as much as it had originally.

I agree completely on the guitars in the chorus and claps in the vs. The guitars could come down a couple dB for sure, although they don't exactly "kill" the mix now, but I think bringing them down would make more sense. The claps do work well with the snare, but again, your idea to bring them down a little makes sense--they blend nicely but I'm not sure they need to there, and they are a bit much.

Thanks again sir!
Joe

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]