Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fyta Kyte - "Bitter"
Hi gang,
I haven't posted any mixes on here in a while, so I thought I'd take a stab at this track. Feel free to hit me up with questions/ comments/ concerns. Thanks for listening.
Jeff

[Edit: revision based on comments has been added.]

.mp3    FytaKyte_Bitter_master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.34 MB)

.mp3    FytaKyte_Bitter_master_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

Hi Jeff, I really like the cracking snare sound you got in your mix. It always amazes me how many different drum sounds everyone manages to come up with from a single set of multitracks! Most of the balances sound pretty good here, but there were a few things that caught my ear...
- The vocal sounds overall are a little dark and muddy to my ear - I think a little reductive eq in the low mids, and maybe some brightening in the highs and high mids might help
- The lead vocal is over-de-essed - it is actually lisping in some spots
- The distorted bass is cool in the choruses, but I think it may be a little too intrusive during the verses. I do like the dynamic you have going between the bass and the kick drum, though.
- The percussion elements are a little too loud - try experimenting with reducing the transients of the tambo and using assertive compression to even the hits a little. Paying attention to those controlling that processing can sometimes help in finding a more suitable "stable level" where the percussion elements are just audible, but don't overpower the mix and sound too "up-front" compared to the other elements.
Thanks for sharing your mix!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks so much for the feedback, FytaKyte - I really appreciate it. I made some changes based on your comments, and posted my revision above.
  • Vocals - I instantiated a fairly low-Q'd dynamic bandshelf EQ and dipped around 575Hz on the lead vox and around 800Hz on the background. I think it clears up some of the muddiness you were hearing. I also eased up on the lead vocal's de-esser.
  • Bass - I eased up on the overdrive. It's still aggressive, but hopefully a little less intrusive.
  • Percussion - I applied a multi-band compressor and a spectral shaper to tame that harshness.
Thanks again. Hope you enjoy!
Jeff