Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rainy Day I by Cotton Drifting - Micarc Mix
So I liked the dark melancholic mood of this song and decided to mix it.

Any comments are welcome.

.mp3    CottonDrifting-RainyDayII_Master_002.mp3 --  (Download: 12.15 MB)

Yeees.

Glad you like the song. I like your mix! I particularly like how you handled the backing vocals; they feel as atmospheric and supporting as I intended. That was something I struggled with when I mixed it. It was hard to get the tonal balance right and the reverb I had pictured in my head. I'm still not sure I nailed it in my mix but I think you did! In fact, I think your use of reverb all around really dives deep without sounding overbearing, what reverb(s) is it?

Thanks for giving it a whirl!
(22-05-2019, 02:37 AM)GinghamJones Wrote: Yeees.

Glad you like the song. I like your mix! I particularly like how you handled the backing vocals; they feel as atmospheric and supporting as I intended. That was something I struggled with when I mixed it. It was hard to get the tonal balance right and the reverb I had pictured in my head. I'm still not sure I nailed it in my mix but I think you did! In fact, I think your use of reverb all around really dives deep without sounding overbearing, what reverb(s) is it?

Thanks for giving it a whirl!

Actually, I tried quite a few things there. At first, I tried a super long reverb using IRs but the result was messy with the plate reverb on the guitars and the voice getting lost. I ended up using only a delay with really long feedback (I used Echoboy from Soundtoys!) and a quite aggressive EQ to take out below 250Hz and above 5kHz to shape the backing vocals.

Thank you back for sharing and letting us experiment (and learn in the process).