Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#42 Leaf - Wii cked Deliza Mix
Pretty cool track, minus that practical joke of steming guitar solo in the kick track, wtfudge?

I hope bass translates half-decently because I fancied the verse arrangement moving all around it! Something between Gorillaz (Demon Days era) and Gainsbourg. Any feedback warmly appreciated, as usual.

.mp3    42 - Leaf - Wicked (Deliza Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 6.61 MB)

This is a cool track Deliza, made all that more cooler by this mix. I really like the unrestrained flavour thats flowing here. The drum sound is epic and love the space created around it. The choruses, especially the final sound fantastic and truly pushes the song over the top. If any complaint, maybe my right ear was left just wanting a little more. Really enjoyed this though. Great work.Big Grin
Thank u, Dave!
I guess you used the bass gtr as intro because of unpleasant harmonics in the lead gtr and issues with placement? The bgtr changes the timbre, and brings increased simplicity (effects perception of speed too, an illusion of slowness). It’s less interesting musically due to notation, and because of the tone change doesn’t give me the feel for the song that benefits the concept. It therefore misses preparing the listener for what is to follow. Tone is mood. Another problem the bgtr has, is delivering it over small speakers – it’s unstable here. The sub 100Hz is a problem too but the kick does work over a small speaker.

I agree with shortening the run-in though. You could also take out some bars before the first verse, to help listener expectation where the count is wrong. There’s other opportunities further up in the song too.

The vocal contains nuclear levels of sibilance in the tracking (and it’s also heavily automated and processed, along with everything else!) You might have got away with it to some extent if the drums were forward and better included in the performance. As they are currently, the kit is too detached from the performance for me. Bringing them forwards would include more treble, where the sibilance is residing, so you’d get more masking in your favour (but more gain in the wrong direction!). As it is, the sibilance is very exposed. The cymbals were badly distorted and unpleasant and I suspect you pushed the kit back in depth for this reason?

Loved the stop at 1:10. WICKED! Wink

In the latter section, there are many instruments doing many things. I wonder if some decisions were left until mixdown because it seems there’s too much busy content here.

Totally agree with dropping the synth outro and the giggle; they felt sooo disconnected from prior musical events.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
I just found no place for the steady arpeggio and thought the bass was pretty capable of driving the tune on its own, I think it's well played and the notes are just right for me. Thou I'm aware it may not perform consistently over different a variety of speakers.

I didn't really care much for the chorus, it's the verse that drove me to mixing this tune, but oddly I did like the riotish ending, 20 seconds of joyful chaos won't kill anybody. Thanks for the input, M!
(26-05-2019, 02:29 PM)Deliza Wrote: I just found no place for the steady arpeggio and thought the bass was pretty capable of driving the tune on its own, I think it's well played and the notes are just right for me. Thou I'm aware it may not perform consistently over different a variety of speakers.

I didn't really care much for the chorus, it's the verse that drove me to mixing this tune, but oddly I did like the riotish ending, 20 seconds of joyful chaos won't kill anybody. Thanks for the input, M!

I nearly died rushing for the fire escape Big Grin Tongue

Something I noticed pushing some things about in the draft, was that the tracks marked backing vocal worked better as the lead, and vice versa. Any thoughts?

In the draft, I actually used the arpeg but on it's own with a stereo effect to help it draw some interest, though I did drop the rhythm entirely. And I shortened it to a couple of bars before the vocal, it was too long and drawn out for me otherwise.

All good fun
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
That vocal swapping idea is intriguing, eager to hear your take!