Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first mix
hello everyone, i'm in presenting -with my first message- my very first mix exercise, using Reaper and varius third party plugins.

I had difficulties in judging the right volumes of each track, i always tend to exceed with volumes, due to our god the loudness curve.

Knowing this, i've kept mixing with the main out fader at -15dB on my headphones.

I'm not satisfied at all with this and maybe i'll upload a new version but I worked about 4 hours on the tracks, and only after i render my final i listened to "mix rescue" of this song (the one found here) which is very different and undoubtly better balanced.

In mine, voices are predominant (pop-like. i do love it). Drums are a bit messed up (time'S MESS!!! not my fault maybe, but not corrected too!!).

So far this is my best work.

Give me suggestions Smile

.mp3    dadsglad_c3kkos_remix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.21 MB)

You obviously spent a bit of time getting creative with the vocal, which now sounds good. You really should spend time now working out what to put in the bottom end of the spectrum. That is to say the track sounds quite empty down there.

If bringing the bass and drums up starts to peak your master then us a LPF on the bass, to remove tops, and experiment with a HPF on the vocals. Of course there are other ways to do this too, like compression or drawing in some volume automation.
Crumbs -- that's a different vision than mine, certainly! While artistic differences are, of course, welcome here Smile I do have some reservations about your choices. The first thing is that it sounds a bit as if you're trying too hard -- everything seems quite heavily processed, where I know from experience of this multitrack that a lot of the sound comes about just from getting the phase-relationships sorted. The guitar in particular sounds very thin, and doesn't seem to support the vocals or fill out the choruses enough, so the vocals end up feeling a bit stranded.

The bass feels rather too subby as well -- it might as well not be there on my Avantone, which tells me that a lot listeners won't hear it at all.