Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extra Primo Good Bitter Mix
Hi All,

This was fun - great tune, great performances (besides the poor old tambourine!..), nice production, well-recorded. Interesting trying to figure out the imaging, especially the guitars.

FWIW, I think the song should actually be called 'Comfortable In My Skin', as a) that's the tagline and b) it's really what the song is about. IMHO - your mileage may vary.

More from this artist please!...

.mp3    Bitter.mp3 --  (Download: 8.45 MB)

Hi SDM - Glad you enjoyed mixing the track! I really like the vocal tone you got here - the vocals sound great.

You did a nice job of using the different parts in different ways with mutes etc. In general, the balances are very good too - everything sits together nicely.

I like the hi-fi like sheen you have over the mix, but I think you may have taken it a little too far. The high end just feels a little too forward on too many different elements. The hihat, cymbals, shaker, tambourine, snare bottom and acoustic guitars are all super-shiney and bright, so they really draw attention to themselves. That tends to affect the groove of the song in a certain way that, to my ear, doesn't always gel with the overall direction of the track. I would suggest just one or two elements to carry the super-high end of the track - perhaps finding a space deeper in the soundstage for the other elements.

More tracks will be available soon!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thank you for listening - interesting observations. Yes - I like my sheen (bit 'o Alan Parsons...) - sometimes a bit much!. With regard to those specific points, I re-adjusted the mix a little. I took down the level and the high end on the hat, and the high end on the shakers, OH's and the tambourine. The acoustics, interestingly enough, were actually flat (well, not EQ'd), so I low-passed them a bit to help them sit a bit better in the mix. A few other bits and pieces, too.

.mp3    Bitter 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.45 MB)

Hi SDM... Yes much improvement on the new mix. It is sounding really solid now.

It is interesting that you mentioned you didn't eq the acoustic guitars... are you using quite a bit of high end boost on the master buss?

The only things that stand out to me now are that the tambourine and the shaker are still overly loud. In my opinion they are mix details that should pass by unnoticed except for the subtle change in feel that they add, whereas here they seem to be mixed way up front as major mix elements.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases