Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"UPDATED!!" Go Big or Go Home - Pray for the Rain - Mix 4
Greetings brother and sister mixers.

Lord knows some of us love to play around in big spaces. And this composition lends itself to just that sort of massive playroom.

Here for your listening pleasure is my take on bigness. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed creating it.

Nerve 9 - Pray for the Rain - Mix 2
Massaged the environment and some elements and automated some parts for better emotional context.

Nerve 9 - Pray for the Rain - Mix 3
Further listening revealed a few spots where the mix could be enhanced and those have been expressed in this version. I believe this to be the last for me, for this fun song. Enjoy.

Nerve 9 - Pray for the Rain - Mix 4
Following comments by the artist (ThomasStevenson) I've updated the solo guitars by adding some depth and width. I also sweetened some guitar phrases, clarified the bass a touch and added a slight bit more Little Plate reverb to the vocal.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
mITc

As always, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions...

.mp3    Nerve 9 - Pray for the Rain.mp3 --  (Download: 13.2 MB)

.mp3    Nerve 9 - Pray for the Rain - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.2 MB)

.mp3    Nerve 9 - Pray for the Rain - Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 13.2 MB)

.mp3    Nerve 9 - Pray for the Rain - Mix 4.mp3 --  (Download: 13.2 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi mITc - great to cross paths again since "You Know Better" Smile

Thanks for mixing our track - really solid - I like it a lot! I am all over the big room philosophy !

Lots of great width in your mix - lead vocal sounds great to me. Balance sounds great, and the verses build nicely into the chorus parts, so I am assuming some tasteful automation is going on behind the scenes. If you were mixing it for me, I would only have one main request and perhaps an observation.

1. The solo guitar parts feel behind the band. It could be level, but the guitar tone is a bit thin. The perception I have while listening is that everything else is nice and wide, but the solo guitar sounds a bit mono and in the background. Take it with the grain of salt that I am the guitar player. I think the level of this guitar should be akin to the lead vocal since they are mutually exclusive with each other, and perhaps have some more delay or reverb or other widening type of effects.
2. The drums sound great - I have the perception though they are leveraging the supplied samples a bit more than the live drum recordings of the snare/kick/toms (you can correct me if I am wrong). For this reason, it tends a little to the virtual drum sound for my taste - primarily the kick. This is a totally subjective comment, but sharing nonetheless. Regardless of this comment, the drum sound you have achieved is big and beautiful.

Thanks again for mixing our song - I really relate to your mix vision and execution of it. Cheers sir !

Thomas

(28-04-2019, 01:36 AM)ThomasStevenson Wrote: Hi mITc - great to cross paths again since "You Know Better" Smile

Thanks for mixing our track - really solid - I like it a lot! I am all over the big room philosophy !

Lots of great width in your mix - lead vocal sounds great to me. Balance sounds great, and the verses build nicely into the chorus parts, so I am assuming some tasteful automation is going on behind the scenes. If you were mixing it for me, I would only have one main request and perhaps an observation.

1. The solo guitar parts feel behind the band. It could be level, but the guitar tone is a bit thin. The perception I have while listening is that everything else is nice and wide, but the solo guitar sounds a bit mono and in the background. Take it with the grain of salt that I am the guitar player. I think the level of this guitar should be akin to the lead vocal since they are mutually exclusive with each other, and perhaps have some more delay or reverb or other widening type of effects.
2. The drums sound great - I have the perception though they are leveraging the supplied samples a bit more than the live drum recordings of the snare/kick/toms (you can correct me if I am wrong). For this reason, it tends a little to the virtual drum sound for my taste - primarily the kick. This is a totally subjective comment, but sharing nonetheless. Regardless of this comment, the drum sound you have achieved is big and beautiful.

Thanks again for mixing our song - I really relate to your mix vision and execution of it. Cheers sir !

Thomas

Thomas,

Thanks for listening. I was not sure anyone was paying attention to this since it was put up so long ago. It was a lot of fun to mix especially since I love 'big'.

Thank you for you kind words. I appreciate it. I really enjoyed working with this composition.

As for samples, the only apparent sample in my track list is for the snare of which I have used equal measure of the recorded and sampled sources, both un-eq'd. The combination is then grouped, compressed, eq'd, limited and sent through an inline sub-reverb or ambience. The kick has equal measures of both inside and outside mics. I do not believe these are samples. I will hold my treatment of them as that is proprietary for now. No real trickery but techniques I hold as my own. No samples. The Toms all appear to be mic'd. No samples as far as I know. They have some minor corrective eq on each and are then compressed and eq'd as a group.

Automation was primarily vocal and guitars.

Now for the solos. I will need to dig deep to find an appropriate enhancement. I did struggle some with both of the solo sections. The only part I was truly happy with was the second part of the second solo. I would be happy to work on a bigger solution to this for you.

Keep an eye and an ear out for updates.

Thanks again and please keep in touch.

Adam.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Wow - great work on the drum mix! There was a Patreon podcast MikeS did a year or so ago on this song - in the podcast he mentioned that the inside kick track he had mislabeled when bundling up the files - It was a sample triggered from the kick mic track. I only mentioned that comment since I am close to the song and probably the only person who would comment on that Smile The drums do sound great!

I think Mike might have had a suggestion or two in that podcast re: the solo section. Some may be relative level to the rhythm guitars, but yeah, carving out some space may be needed.

Thanks again Adam !

Thomas
Still, this is amazing: the song is one, but there are many solutions. We all hear differently. It is possible that the reverb is too strong in this mix. Of course, I could be wrong. In addition, the impression would be better if you highlight key episodes in the song and make them sound louder and more dramatic.
I laid out this mix 5 minutes ago. Tinkering with him for a week. ))) You know, I got the idea to start a song with BVOX, which sound in the middle part. It turned out well. For my taste, of course. Listen, if there is time: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=28888
Alexander