Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - Updated
(16-04-2019, 04:34 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It's weird how one of the most interesting parts of the Omni Channel for me is its De-Esser section. It's the only plug in I've considered getting in a long time. Any of the "Name" plugins (CLA, JJP, Maserati) are hit and miss for me. I like the simplicity of the all in one plug in but I feel better just breaking down what they do, learning and rolling my own, in a way. For most of those "Producer" plugs, there's no magic. It's convenience more than anything.
I really like Andrew Scheps. I've never analyzed his work. I couldn't definitively tell you what he's worked on. Besides "Death Magnetic" but I'm not blaming him for that. He just seems like a nice, laid back guy and I love watching any interview he does.

I did a quick look at the M80's frequency response. I didn't find a clear image of the chart but there is a rise in the upper midrange though I can't tell what the increments are on the Y axis from the blurry image I've found. Which would be expected for a supercardioid mic designed for live use. I can't say I've been 'wow'ed' by any of TF's dynamic mics. I'm sure they're fine. I can't say I've been wow'd by many dynamic mics. And let's not argue semantics that ribbons can be considered 'dynamic mics'. Of course I'd kill for most of their condensers. I'd frankly commit an atrocity for one of their AR-70s.

Sorry to rant. I was bored.

There is something a bit odd about how the band enters the song and it almost sounds like the sound person was asleep at the switch. they kind of enter quietly for the first few measures. From there is just stays at one level.

I have never been a fan of Hyper-cardiod mics. To much affect from the pattern. When I first got into the business we were loaned a pair of U67s, a KM84, two AKG 451 EBs and an AKG D224E. The latter is a rare dual diaphragm dynamic with beautiful frequency response (20-20k) and extremely smooth off-axis response with little proximity effect because the diaphragms are at opposite ends of the body. To start an audio career with access to U67s was a real treat. What you learn is how important good mics and pre-amps are.

As for the Ominchannel, Andrew has taken the best of a lot of worlds and combined them. Like the EQ has API like mid-bands and a Neve top end. That's pretty cool. My ex-studio partner has a new API 1608 console and he swears by the EQs. The Waves API 550A and B plugs are now my go to EQs. Incredibly musical.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by Roy - 16-04-2019, 03:31 AM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by Roy - 16-04-2019, 04:34 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by Mixinthecloud - 16-04-2019, 05:56 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by Roy - 16-04-2019, 06:14 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by kapu - 16-04-2019, 10:52 PM