Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - Updated
Yeah, I know I did mix this song relatively quickly both times so worrying about the final level may have fallen through the cracks. Honestly, I don't much worry about the final volume all that much. I guess since I'm so used to listening to things on my laptop I'm constantly changing volume anyway. Besides distortion or excessive limiting "loudness" never really occurs to me. Plus, I hate mastering. Maybe I'm too old school but I just want to mix. I do do overall mix bus processing most of the time and I'll throw an L3 to get it up to relatively normal levels like a good boy but I'm still rebelling a bit against self mastering. I should get in the habit more, I suppose.

It's a good mix. Don't get me wrong. You treated it well. It's just that dynamics are really important to this song so when the band kicks in I just wanted more.

It's weird how one of the most interesting parts of the Omni Channel for me is its De-Esser section. It's the only plug in I've considered getting in a long time. Any of the "Name" plugins (CLA, JJP, Maserati) are hit and miss for me. I like the simplicity of the all in one plug in but I feel better just breaking down what they do, learning and rolling my own, in a way. For most of those "Producer" plugs, there's no magic. It's convenience more than anything.
I really like Andrew Scheps. I've never analyzed his work. I couldn't definitively tell you what he's worked on. Besides "Death Magnetic" but I'm not blaming him for that. He just seems like a nice, laid back guy and I love watching any interview he does.

I did a quick look at the M80's frequency response. I didn't find a clear image of the chart but there is a rise in the upper midrange though I can't tell what the increments are on the Y axis from the blurry image I've found. Which would be expected for a supercardioid mic designed for live use. I can't say I've been 'wow'ed' by any of TF's dynamic mics. I'm sure they're fine. I can't say I've been wow'd by many dynamic mics. And let's not argue semantics that ribbons can be considered 'dynamic mics'. Of course I'd kill for most of their condensers. I'd frankly commit an atrocity for one of their AR-70s.

Sorry to rant. I was bored.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by Roy - 16-04-2019, 03:31 AM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by Roy - 16-04-2019, 04:34 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by Roy - 16-04-2019, 06:14 PM
RE: Enter The Haggis - Two Bare Hands - by kapu - 16-04-2019, 10:52 PM