Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright
My mix. Any feedback welcome.

Thanks.

Update: Added mix revision 1 after reading Don's notes.

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - I\'m Alright.mp3 --  (Download: 6.92 MB)

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - I\'m Alright - Revision 1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.92 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(14-04-2019, 10:45 PM)mikej Wrote: My mix. Any feedback welcome.

Thanks.

Hey Mike!

This is a pretty good mix! Very good punch on the kick drum, tambourine/percussion present, good panning techniques, and I loved how the electric guitar sits as it's getting it's solo on. The piano feels good throughout the mix, too. The delay on the electric guitar was nice touch, too.

Your mix kind of loses me when when the vocals come in, though. It's kind of hard to feel them and follow them throughout the song. More presence/forwardness in the vocals would definitely help carry the song along.

Also, the acoustic guitar that you panned to the right? I would have pulled that more towards the center because it helps to glue the song together and keep it going until the end with power.

Lastly, the SNARE, bro. The snare/clap is my go to in ANY mix/song. Bring that snare up and forward as much as you can. In a song like this, you want the snare to carry most of the weight because it's going to be doing the most anyways, you know? When you get your snare hitting with force and power, and then, you have your kick drum kicking right behind, it makes mixing everything else that much easier and that much more FUN!

This mix was a BLAST to do. You can use my mix as a reference, if you need to.

Cheers,
Don Prada
Don,

Wow, thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed critique of my mix, really appreciated.

I've downloaded your (excellent) mix - yes I can now hear what you are getting at and that your comments are spot on.

- I'll work on a revision and post it up for further critique when it's done - hopefully in the next day or so.

Yeah - referencing your mix I really do need to get more presence on the vocal and snare. Honestly I have really been struggling to feel that I have the drums and vocal balance right and have wondered if I mix them too low. I think I end up second guessing myself and turn the snare and vocals down a couple of db as the mix comes together.

I'll have a go at sorting out the panning of the acoustic too. It does kind of hang out there on it's own, especially in the intro. My thinking was to use the piano to hold everything togther as I felt it was a really nice part, and balance the guitars in a lcr type manner. I was hoping that the solo would feel ok as I felt for this track I didn't really want to pan it to the middle just for that.

I'm also hearing I might be able to go a couple of db or so more on the final limiter too.

Thanks again for your comments. I'll re-vist the mix and see how I go. Hopefully with your help I can get this mix dialled in.

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!