Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Al James: 'Schoolboy Fascination' - Olli H
Again a genre that I've never mixed nor listened. I have to admit that that most of the time I felt that I'm lost in the forest. I tried to listen The Bay City Rollers to find the right kind of mood in my head.

.mp3    schoolboy-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.66 MB)

Thank you for the laugh Big Grin bay city rollers as reference. I needed that, how did you know ? Gonna listen on proper speakers when gettin the oppurtunity
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
nice mix, Olli! I liked it a lot (even this is not the kind of music I like!!)
mixing since April 2013
(05-10-2013, 04:54 PM)Voelund Wrote: Thank you for the laugh Big Grin bay city rollers as reference. I needed that, how did you know ?

When I was twelve, it was forbidden to like BCR. No one ever said it aloud, but it was unwritten rule at that time. And I obeyed it. It took me 30 years to learn to listen music with different attitude. And here I am. Gray haired schoolboy trying to learn the golden essence within every different music style. Too late to make a new career, but it's never too late to live happily ever after. So, I'm already looking for the a new genre to dive in… Any disco music around here?

@juanjose1967 Thanks!
Good Mix. Me likey!
Great Mix Olli. Wish I could say something constructive.

Ok...maybe one thing, maybe...For some reason the high hat leaps out at me a few times, not so much in volume but in that it grabs my attention and seems paperish. I realize this song almost forces that result. I used the tambourine to try to cover it up, frankly. But yeah, if one thing is off to me, that would be it. Just a little too much HH in there grabbing my attention away from the vocals.

Otherwise, superior!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Sounds everything right to me, maybe youre is similiar to mine^^
In general this a very solid mix! Most of the critique I'm giving are mostly about tastes.

As somebody else already said, the hihat stuff is occasionally being little intrusive in the drums department. On choruses it feels like they're playing louder than the snare.

Some of the esses might coming through strongly especially during the choruses. I've personally had very good luck with using little bit more aggressive de-essing with background vocals if there are many to keep the sibilance at bay.

Perhaps more a matter of taste but I feel the kick gets lost slightly at the choruses though it sounds really nice at verses.

For some strange reason the lead vocal pans to the left at last (repeat) chorus. There were some duplicated vocal stuff on some vocal tracks; I'm suspecting it's one of those (unless you panned it intentionally).
Just listened to another mix of this, and I enjoyd your more oldschool attempt on this one.
It doesnt impress on loudness or low volume perception like Michael Jackson mixes, but it sounds really well balanced and breathes too.
Sounds very similar to what I would have aimed for !

And by the way I apologize for my remark about bay city rollers, i had a really bad day and just got into a real hysterical laugh you used them for reference, as I didnt think they sounded especially good.
I love many bands not especially trendy and who cares, what we like we like ! And havin the courage to admit it, and on the internet, is very brave !

Good mix my friend be proud Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
And again - thank you for the laugh - somedays you just need that. You helped me !