Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cotton Drifting - Rainy Day II (M&F)
First: there should be more mixing posts of this song.

I chose to stick to a traditional "grunge ballad" style on this, with emphasis on the gtr leads in the front of the song, keeping drums and vocals "floaty" in the mix.. in the gtr solo middle, spotlighting the drum work with the cymbals and crashes of focus.. then in the end, accessorize the strong vocal outro with a strong snare hit for emphasis around the "crawl" feel of the song ending..

Rain FX I moderated in this mix to my feel of complimenting the artistic "feel" of this song.. no technicality, no rules.. 100% feel.. I mixed and mastered.

Would like to see more provision in the forum from this artist.

.mp3    Rainy Day DDL Pre 16_MP3_320kbps.mp3 --  (Download: 12.15 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Hey, Cole with Cotton Drifting here. Uh, first off thanks, you totally made my morning a better place to be haha! I greatly appreciate the feedback and mix submission.

I think you had an interesting vision for your mix, very loud and "in your face". I love the way the first section builds up and I especially love how audible the kick drum is. That's something I feel is missing from my version. I also think your panning choice is cool, keeping the acoustic guitar to one side and the drums more centered with the melodic guitars hugging from the sides. Overall the mix feels very powerful to me.

I would like to ask how the drums were processed. Partly out of curiosity, but also because it sounds like there is a phase issue with the snare, it seems more hollow than it should be to me. My guess is either the snare mic could use a polarity invert or that there is a very short artificial ambience added that has conflict with the punch of the snare. I actually think it's a cool sound in its own right but I also feel it takes away some of the power in it. I'd also like to hear just a little more acoustic guitar at the end section, I think. But I'm biased ;].

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks, again. I'd love to contribute more songs if there's an interest because it's just too cool to hear different mix perspectives!
(13-04-2019, 07:42 PM)GinghamJones Wrote: Hey, Cole with Cotton Drifting here. Uh, first off thanks, you totally made my morning a better place to be haha! I greatly appreciate the feedback and mix submission.

I think you had an interesting vision for your mix, very loud and "in your face". I love the way the first section builds up and I especially love how audible the kick drum is. That's something I feel is missing from my version. I also think your panning choice is cool, keeping the acoustic guitar to one side and the drums more centered with the melodic guitars hugging from the sides. Overall the mix feels very powerful to me.

I would like to ask how the drums were processed. Partly out of curiosity, but also because it sounds like there is a phase issue with the snare, it seems more hollow than it should be to me. My guess is either the snare mic could use a polarity invert or that there is a very short artificial ambience added that has conflict with the punch of the snare. I actually think it's a cool sound in its own right but I also feel it takes away some of the power in it. I'd also like to hear just a little more acoustic guitar at the end section, I think. But I'm biased ;].

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks, again. I'd love to contribute more songs if there's an interest because it's just too cool to hear different mix perspectives!

You have a very good ear, on the drums: I placed a UAD Ocean Way Drum Room on them... that's what's being heard that may come off as phasing.. it's the Ocean Way room spread.. I am also using a Rupert Neve Design 5059 on this mix.
Interesting I haven't heard of either of those! I looked up the 5059 and that is an attractive looking piece of equipment, did you use any of the tone adjustments on it? Also, did you use the Ocean Way in conjunction with the room mics or is it used in stead?
(13-04-2019, 08:12 PM)GinghamJones Wrote: Interesting I haven't heard of either of those! I looked up the 5059 and that is an attractive looking piece of equipment, did you use any of the tone adjustments on it? Also, did you use the Ocean Way in conjunction with the room mics or is it used in stead?

*I bussed the direct drums mix into an Aux Bus with the Ocean Way room on it, so it sounds as if the drums were recorded there... There's 3 mic placements in that plugin, there's 1 dead close, 1 mid way for a level spread, and 1 far for room ambience.. I adjusted the levels in the plugin to the feel I wanted to compliment the underside of the song with. The room tracks were left direct outside the Aux Bus.

Yes, I used a very small amount of Red Silk setting on the 5059... I like the 5059 on songs where there's a good dynamic range in the song, in this song, there's a great dynamic range in 3 stages and even the gtr vamp in the mid song, the 5059 can handle that small spike in intensity smoothly.