Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Living in the City (REAPER DAW)
Overall I thought it sounded very good. I do agree with the cymbals being a bit on the washy side.

As for Reaper in the audio settings do you have it set to WaveOut, I am using WaveOut and don't have any problems you mentioned, although I am using an external AI too. Drivers won't (or shouldn't) have any effect on the sound - they are simply a hardware/software interface.

You will find Reaper exceptionally stable. The previous DAW I had would crash consistently. I spent more time worrying about when it would crash and rushing to do things before it did, and that definitely reflected in the mixes. As for plugins, think someone already mentioned vst4free, also look at KVR. There is stacks of sites with free or very cheap plugins. For most, make a dir under your program files dir (if 64 bit), called VstPlugins, most will install into that. Make sure you select 'for everyone on this computer' option if you see it if there is an installer for the plugin, otherwise it will be buried in the user/appdata directory.

I registered my reaper the other day, cost me close on $100 AUD with the exchange rate, but it is worth it I think.
Once you get used to it you will love it. The forums are very helpful as well, bunch of really good people there.
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
(05-01-2019, 06:44 PM)Cranky Emu Wrote: Overall I thought it sounded very good. I do agree with the cymbals being a bit on the washy side.

As for Reaper in the audio settings do you have it set to WaveOut, I am using WaveOut and don't have any problems you mentioned, although I am using an external AI too. Drivers won't (or shouldn't) have any effect on the sound - they are simply a hardware/software interface.

You will find Reaper exceptionally stable. The previous DAW I had would crash consistently. I spent more time worrying about when it would crash and rushing to do things before it did, and that definitely reflected in the mixes. As for plugins, think someone already mentioned vst4free, also look at KVR. There is stacks of sites with free or very cheap plugins. For most, make a dir under your program files dir (if 64 bit), called VstPlugins, most will install into that. Make sure you select 'for everyone on this computer' option if you see it if there is an installer for the plugin, otherwise it will be buried in the user/appdata directory.

I registered my reaper the other day, cost me close on $100 AUD with the exchange rate, but it is worth it I think.
Once you get used to it you will love it. The forums are very helpful as well, bunch of really good people there.

Yes is really stable and I do like the user interface. I just need to get used to working with the plugins there because the stock plugins are very different from logic.
In respect to the plugins (stock) I still have not gone through them all myself. One day I will sit down and go through them and see what they do. One I do like is the convolution amp (and dual), which supposedly simulates different amps/box combos.
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
(15-04-2019, 09:59 AM)Jostern Wrote: If we talk about your migration to windows, are you sure that you've taken everything into consideration? I mean, have you thought about security. I remember that I read Avast reviews pros and cons to define which antivirus I want to download.

I never get viruses. Never go to untrusted websites. I actually dont even have an antivirus on my computer.
Shul,
First, as an audio engineer, I think this is a great mix. I like the presence and clarity throughout the song. Secondly, as a network engineer, NOT having an anti-virus in this day and age is asking for trouble. Contending that you go to no untrusted sites is a foolish statement. You come here and Mike has been hacked at last once and is probably under constant attack. There are plenty of good free anti-virus options and you should never be without one. It does not matter if you are on an Apple OS or Microsoft or Linux. All are vulnerable.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
My Commodore 64 has yet to be hacked!
(22-04-2019, 06:29 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: My Commodore 64 has yet to be hacked!

TongueTongueTongue
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]