Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Starnes & Shah: 'Prodigal Son' kapu mix
tried to better the levels of second version.
About the "NOT FANTABULOUS" version, I'd like to see how it ends up with a cleaner and lighter reverb. I think it's the color, nor the amount, that's making the soundstage a little too heavy for this tune.

But now I don't think I can listen to that version anymore, nor that I want to! Are those chiptunes around 0:33 coming form a Pocket Operator? And are we still expected to post our boring 20th century mixes after this?
(05-04-2019, 05:03 PM)Deliza Wrote: About the "NOT FANTABULOUS" version, I'd like to see how it ends up with a cleaner and lighter reverb. I think it's the color, nor the amount, that's making the soundstage a little too heavy for this tune.

deliberately went for larges spaces, maybe went too far.

Quote:But now I don't think I can listen to that version anymore, nor that I want to! Are those chiptunes around 0:33 coming form a Pocket Operator?

with 'chiptunes' you mean that plugin-activation-thingy-background-music style part? its bitcrushed simple drum beat sounds. slightly bitcrushed single triangle wave with 1/8th note arpeggiated chords for bass. and single square wave with 1/128th arpeggiated chords for harmonies.

Quote:And are we still expected to post our boring 20th century mixes after this?
Yes.

^_^
[quote='kapu' pid='81450' dateline='1554481714']

and single square wave with 1/128th arpeggiated chords for harmonies.

[quote]

I guess it's that, it's not like there are so many things happening at that part. Yeah, the "chords" that's played kinda like a sincopated piano part and sounds like vintage videogame music (chiptunes). But it doesn't feel like a arpeggiator (I can hear the arpeggiator on bass, that's easy), weird!

Friday night, everybody's online in a mixing forum, yayyyyyyyyyyyy!

(05-04-2019, 05:37 PM)Deliza Wrote: I guess it's that, it's not like there are so many things happening at that part. Yeah, the "chords" that's played kinda like a sincopated piano part and sounds like vintage videogame music (chiptunes). But it doesn't feel like a arpeggiator (I can hear the arpeggiator on bass, that's easy), weird!

yep. it is a 1/128th note arpeggiator driving a single square wave. because the arpeggiator is so ridiculously fast, it create that kind of vintage game sound.

Quote:Friday night, everybody's online in a mixing forum, yayyyyyyyyyyyy!

damn! is it friday night already? time to watch some documentaries about dinosaurs and space, eating dip and potato chips while studying math and listening synthesizer music! ^_^
It is a ridicoolously neat trick!

Hehehe way to go Kapu! So nice ;D. Really thumps kick yo and nice beat with those claps love it.
(05-04-2019, 06:09 PM)Deliza Wrote: It is a ridicoolously neat trick!

Yes. ^_^
(05-04-2019, 06:36 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hehehe way to go Kapu! So nice ;D. Really thumps kick yo and nice beat with those claps love it.

thanks for listening!

the kick is basically a stock 808 sample, but it has a fast 3 octave pitch down envelope to create that knock. then some filtering, drive and comp etc. same kind of processing for the snare, but its a 707 snare sample. clap is some stock ableton live sample with huge reverb added. ^_^
did a new mix. ^_^

.mp3    Starnes & Shah_ \'Prodigal Son\' kapu mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.4 MB)