Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Hollister Band: 'Eyes' (critiques plz)
Hey guys,

here is my mix of this song, the tracks are great!
I might have overlooked the mandolin solo a bit.

Version 2:
Expander on the vocal (Check out Mike Seniors DIY Vocal Rider Tutorial)
Automation for the mandolin solo
Overall volume automation

Cheers,
LukasAngel

.mp3    ChadHollisterBand_Eyes_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.49 MB)

.mp3    ChadHollisterBand_Eyes_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.49 MB)

It sounds good. I think the vocal gets a bit overwhelmed by everything else. I think it could come up and/or maybe bring the two guitars back. The vocals could probably use some de-essing as well.
Yeah, the mandolin solo is a bit quiet. The horns sound good. They might be a little loud but I like them that way on this song.
Good job.

Thanks for the review. I agree that the vocal can be a bit quiet at times, but I didnt want to compress a lot, due to the amount of spill. I'll see what will work. Tbh I already de-essed the vocal but it is still to much.

I wanted the horns loud and full, the mandolin however was just an oversight on my part Smile

Cheers,
LukasAngel

I like the panning in your mix.
I like the environment you've chosen. I think the electric is a bit too prominent and could use some automation between intro, verse and chorus. Moving the electric to the center at the solo doesn't work for me. Was there a problem with leaving on the left? Pretty good though. A much more studio approach than I could muster.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thank you for the critique Smile

I think I agree that the electric is too loud in the intro and verses, I think the chorus would be fine as is.

And the solo probably would have worked panned aswell. I just panned it center, to focus the attention on it. This left the mix unbalanced.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Impressive Lukas, you've really become a good mixer, sweet mix!