Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#39 Passenger Side – Driving these ‘Streets of Fire’
Hope someone jumps and says “I Understood That Reference” (which is a reference itself!). Oh well, it was funnier to do this mix if I imagined Diane Lane at the singing.

Weird mix, it’s such a great song with good drumming and fantastic voice, but then you got sloppy BGV's, so so guitar tones (the JohnnyMarresque rhythm guitar has such a blurry sound on both mics) and some seriously bad bass playing whose timing I tried to fix like a fool. But lucky me everything made sense after loading a Stereo Bus chain I had made from another mix. Now I’m afraid the final tone might be too close for comfort to the ear bleed zone. How do you think of it?

.mp3    39 - Evening Darling - Passenger Side (Deliza Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 9.68 MB)

We seem to disagree on the quality of some of the playing and singing but there is plenty of sloppiness to go 'round in this rendition.
You made use of the Hammond more than most but I think to the determent of the song. It sounds forced and it covers other areas of tonal content more vital to the song. As a result it feels overly compressed. This is evidenced by the crashing cymbals at the end and the reverb slap. I like your tones over-all and your vocal effects are spot on.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I think you're right about Hammond too present, in the verses it definitely is taking too much space.

What "reverb slap" is that, Mix? LV's slap delay, that's the only part I can think of with a relatively prominent tail?
(16-04-2019, 07:16 AM)Deliza Wrote: I think you're right about Hammond too present, in the verses it definitely is taking too much space.

What "reverb slap" is that, Mix? LV's slap delay, that's the only part I can think of with a relatively prominent tail?

The reverb slap you can hear mostly on the right side from the very beginning of the song? That reverb slap.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I see, that's a clap pattern layer I recorded, with some grainy overdriven reverb. Kinda going for a Bowie's "Modern Love" 80's feeling. Maybe it should stick to the snare, I dunno.
(22-04-2019, 10:07 AM)Deliza Wrote: I see, that's a clap pattern layer I recorded, with some grainy overdriven reverb. Kinda going for a Bowie's "Modern Love" 80's feeling. Maybe it should stick to the snare, I dunno.

If you put the reverb down the middle, it would sound more natural. But how would that impact on the other elements in the mix? Perhaps think about the "illusion of space" you want to create for the band and within the scope and listener expectation of the genre as a whole, before touching anything. Then create the illusion.

The vocal sounds muddy over my speakers which contradicts her forward placement. She's the focus...but what are YOU hearing? Is what you are hearing the same as what's going on inside the DAW? We need to hear the DAW, not the consequences of our environment.

I'd bring the drums up during the bridge, help push the groove. The kick's weak, but that's your cans skewing your perspective - they are exaggerating it in your ear because they boost, but it's causing you to mix bass lower. Enclosed headphones especially are the worst culprits for that. Headphones can contribute to NIHL (Noise Induced Hearing Loss).

It's impossible for a single transducer to deliver everything across the spectrum. Fine for general listening enjoyment, but utterly useless for mixing purposes on their own.

THe bass guitar? Low end issues and definition, but I've not checked the multi to see what you are up against.

You need to keep the bass out of the sides too, it's adding to the boom as well as chowing headroom and muddying up the mix generally. Low end affects perception of treble Wink Anything below 100Hz is non-directional anyway so it's best to keep it out of the stereo domain.

I don't want to spoil the party but overall the mix sounds lifeless. I put it down to over compression. Oh, headphones are terrible for dialling compression because they lack excursion.

Hope this helps
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(26-04-2019, 08:12 AM)Monk Wrote: I don't want to spoil the party but overall the mix sounds lifeless. I put it down to over compression. Oh, headphones are terrible for dialling compression because they lack excursion.

Hope this helps

Nothin' spoiled, I'm mixing in the shittiest enviroment imaginable, so it's always helpful to be called down back to reality since I have no way to know what translation may be like out in the real world (I have 2 different pair of headphones, at least, but anything else will have to wait for a while). Thanks!
I think some of it sounds sloppy is because it was tracked live.
I want to be kind and think the bass player was a last minute replacement, thou coming to a video recording without knowing your song would be a pretty much punk thing to do on the other hand!