Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starnes & Shah: 'Prodigal Son
what are your thoughts?

.mp3    prodigal.mp3 --  (Download: 7.22 MB)

Sounds really good. I still feel the kick drum on the right but I think I'm just overly sensitive of that. My only real complaint is the vocals, while sounding pretty good, feel buried. Other than that, I can't find any real fault with the mix. Good job.
(01-04-2019, 03:48 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds really good. I still feel the kick drum on the right but I think I'm just overly sensitive of that. My only real complaint is the vocals, while sounding pretty good, feel buried. Other than that, I can't find any real fault with the mix. Good job.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I agree the kick is a bit heavier on the right in the overheads. I read in another post that you recorded it, so kudos for the drum sound obtained! I think the drums sound great!!
(01-04-2019, 04:09 PM)mr_alfie Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 03:48 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds really good. I still feel the kick drum on the right but I think I'm just overly sensitive of that. My only real complaint is the vocals, while sounding pretty good, feel buried. Other than that, I can't find any real fault with the mix. Good job.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I agree the kick is a bit heavier on the right in the overheads. I read in another post that you recorded it, so kudos for the drum sound obtained! I think the drums sound great!!

I did. Thanks. Yeah, it was tricky. 4 (decent) mics in a basement. The right overhead wound up being closer to the kick and I didn't really have time or room to really compensate. Plus it was a compromise to get good coverage of the toms.

Sounds good overall. The drums could be beefed up a bit sounds a little thin. Clarity is decent like Roy advised vocals could come up a tad. Good job overall
The busier the bass part, the less noticeable that right side excessive low weight. What could you do to hide even more?:

- Some simple LC or low shelve over the right side of the OH's
- Or maybe better, A transient shaper after a x-over filter (so it acts only over the lowend) dimming the sustain

Snare bites a little too much for me, thou it's perfectly adequate with such a sparse arrangement. Kinda weird it gets smaller in the final no-singing wheel. Maybe somewhere in between those two snare settings could do fine for the whole track.

Still, a mix that's really nice to listen to. No brickwalling and a natural soundstage and color.