Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starnes & Shah: 'Prodigal Son'
Starnes & Shah: 'Prodigal Son'

.mp3    starnes.mp3 --  (Download: 7.22 MB)

[For the record, I recorded this song and provided the multitracks. In my defense it was in a concrete basement!]

It works for me.
It's a little heavy on the bass but I think that works for this track. It needs that weight. The kick pulls to the right but I'm sure that has to do with the Glyn Johns OH setup. The guitar on the left balances it out though. The snare has a lot of ring (which took a lot to cut in the final mix). Other than that the drums sound pretty good.
I like the flange! I think I thought of something like that when I mixed it but dropped the idea. It feels natural to do though, doesn't it?

Sounds good.

(01-04-2019, 01:30 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: [For the record, I recorded this song and provided the multitracks. In my defense it was in a concrete basement!]

It works for me.
It's a little heavy on the bass but I think that works for this track. It needs that weight. The kick pulls to the right but I'm sure that has to do with the Glyn Johns OH setup. The guitar on the left balances it out though. The snare has a lot of ring (which took a lot to cut in the final mix). Other than that the drums sound pretty good.
I like the flange! I think I thought of something like that when I mixed it but dropped the idea. It feels natural to do though, doesn't it?

Sounds good.

I liked working on this track Roy, and The drum sounds great even from the concrete basement! I liked the melody and the song, so i decided to give it a try a la Suzzanne Vega type of sound. I want to revisit the drums, doing a mono section lo-fied in the intro and verses and then expand it to stereo and brighter in choruses. Solid vocals and thanks for the DIs tracks so we could search for tones using reamping. Thank you and please send more of these. BTW, Glyn Johns technique shows that less is always more Wink
Thanks. Glad you liked it. I'll see about adding other songs in the future.
version 1.

.mp3    starnes_1.mp3 --  (Download: 7 MB)

Ha. I like it. The only thing is that effect really brings out the ring in the snare. It could use a deep notch cut around 500hz maybe somewhere else as well.
I think the first version was clearer the flange muddies up the overall clarity. With some tweaks as Roy suggested it could be a pretty good mix
The one thing I like about the second version and the flange on the drums is that it makes the intro more interesting. Those four bars can get a little boring.
(02-04-2019, 05:03 PM)sagalegin Wrote: I think the first version was clearer the flange muddies up the overall clarity. With some tweaks as Roy suggested it could be a pretty good mix

I agree with you, sagalegin, that the flange can distort and reduce realism on the drum tracks. The objective of its inclusion was to create change and movement and hence, interest as the song progresses. Thank you for listening and your comment.
(02-04-2019, 06:02 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: The one thing I like about the second version and the flange on the drums is that it makes the intro more interesting. Those four bars can get a little boring.

Roy, did you noticed that I also muted the guitar twice for 4 bars in the verses? Its so subtle that change but it makes a difference in the clarity of the lyrics and creating a change as the arrangement moves along. I saw the recording process in a video from their Facebook page. Pretty cool project. What chain did you used for the vocals? I recall seeing an SM7 as vocal mic. Their voices are very clean and present and sounds pristine.