Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Bitter + a packet of crisps danke
That 'Vintage' M.O.T.D. sound again ------------ably aided and abetted by the superb FREEVERB 3 Hideki and Loudmax 64
.Mark

Excuse the overkill on updating ,It's just the way of working I've developed, it keeps me motivated with my s'ware dev constantly thinking I know I can do a better mix as I've updated the do'ings (vst's) and I just have to re-print the mix --- uh nnnhh !!!! as one or some of the processors has changed the whole mix sounds different so ,I've got to update the mix but, when I did it in the first place, I didn't want to 2nd gen the audio, so I mixed it piecemeal as it exceeded the processing power of my faithful old 32 bit amd ( bought 7-9 ish yrs ago for £100 on e-bay ( the only surviving member of many subsequent computers ) anyway my mixes are like playing battleships,I take a rough aim based on the last one and fire! (print )
anyway toodle pip, wot oh! chaps, splice the main brace and all that.

Mark.

aha a chance for me to play with my toys .

.mp3    bta A V 109.mp3 --  (Download: 6.94 MB)

.mp3    bta A V 106.mp3 --  (Download: 6.96 MB)

M.O.T.D. software nearly ready for release, just need to update the de-esser and have a final(I hope) check over.
A.T.B.
Mark
11/10/19 REALLY AM V.NEARLY FINISHED AND READY FOR FINAL RELEASE.
I'd get the lead vocal more upfront on the verses and when it is the only voice.
(11-04-2019, 06:03 PM)THEODORE BEHRMAN Wrote: I'd get the lead vocal more upfront on the verses and when it is the only voice.

Thanks for listening I shall give it a go ,balancing the vocals has given me the most problems
Hi Mark - You have some really cool sounds happening here!

I'm really digging the drum sounds in particular. It's been a really interesting exercise to hear how many completely different drum sounds different mixers are getting out of the same set of multi-tracks. Your drum sounds have a particular quality that is in some of my favorite drum sounds. It's pretty hard to describe, but has to do with the way the compression envelope "flexes" in sympathy with the drum hits and creates this really compelling mixture of clear transient attack and soft, "pillowy" sustain that match in level so that neither dominate in a way that takes you out of the moment of the song. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing there is a fair bit of compression at work on the drum buss and on the room mics.

That said, I'm hearing a bit of compression pumping causing different hihat and cymbal hits to "jump out" a bit unnaturally as the compression envelope opens and closes on the kick and snare hits. Another very minor point: The cymbals and hihats also take on a very slightly crunchy, lo-fi "tearing paper" texture. I guess it would be pretty hard to get the aggressive sounding drums without the heavy processing, but there might be a way around it by perhaps keeping the overheads in a cleaner signal path, or at least the top end of the overheads.

The instrumental part of the mix in general sounds really good - it has a really good, lively feel to it, that compliments the energetic nature of the tempo and song down to a tee.

The other area that needs work (IMO) is the lead vocal. Overall it is a bit buried and a little muddy and indistinct sounding. For example, around 3:20, the word "comfortable" is almost inaudible.
I'd suggest pulling out some boxiness and mud in the lead vocal and getting it to cut through more in the top end. Some more leveling through automation/compression would help it stay more up front in the mix too.

Overall, pretty cool. Thanks for coming to the party and bringing a nice little gift!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(14-04-2019, 03:38 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: Hi Mark - You have some really cool sounds happening here!

I'm really digging the drum sounds in particular. It's been a really interesting exercise to hear how many completely different drum sounds different mixers are getting out of the same set of multi-tracks. Your drum sounds have a particular quality that is in some of my favorite drum sounds. It's pretty hard to describe, but has to do with the way the compression envelope "flexes" in sympathy with the drum hits and creates this really compelling mixture of clear transient attack and soft, "pillowy" sustain that match in level so that neither dominate in a way that takes you out of the moment of the song. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing there is a fair bit of compression at work on the drum buss and on the room mics.

That said, I'm hearing a bit of compression pumping causing different hihat and cymbal hits to "jump out" a bit unnaturally as the compression envelope opens and closes on the kick and snare hits. Another very minor point: The cymbals and hihats also take on a very slightly crunchy, lo-fi "tearing paper" texture. I guess it would be pretty hard to get the aggressive sounding drums without the heavy processing, but there might be a way around it by perhaps keeping the overheads in a cleaner signal path, or at least the top end of the overheads.

The instrumental part of the mix in general sounds really good - it has a really good, lively feel to it, that compliments the energetic nature of the tempo and song down to a tee.

The other area that needs work (IMO) is the lead vocal. Overall it is a bit buried and a little muddy and indistinct sounding. For example, around 3:20, the word "comfortable" is almost inaudible.
I'd suggest pulling out some boxiness and mud in the lead vocal and getting it to cut through more in the top end. Some more leveling through automation/compression would help it stay more up front in the mix too.

Overall, pretty cool. Thanks for coming to the party and bringing a nice little gift!
Many thanks for your kind and very astute comments, You're absolutely right about the vocals and hi-hats, I shall do my best
to try and remedy the situation, again thanks for taking the time to listen and offer such helpful and perceptive comments. A.T.B. Mark
Hi Mark as stated by the artists there is abit too much pumping from the compressor and the lead vocals needs to be more upfront i think once that is done your mix will go to the next level imo,well done.
Reaper user
(17-04-2019, 04:43 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Mark as stated by the artists there is abit too much pumping from the compressor and the lead vocals needs to be more upfront i think once that is done your mix will go to the next level imo,well done.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out and offer some sage advice ,Ive rigged an auto leveller on the vocals and done a little manual gain riding(automation), but it needs a bit more to be able to keep it sitting right, upfront, without compromising the energy of the song(I think) anyway I'll, give it a shot, thanks for your kind encouragement.
Best Wishes
Mark
The processing (m.o.t.d.) has come on leaps and bounds,I really do believe they have pretty much reached their final form, though I will go through them all, I don't anticipate any further drastic changes. A.T.B. Mark
hi! listened latest version. snare feel a bit thin, and maybe lead vocals could be more upfront. overall sounds very good. nice work! ^_^