Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Passenger Side
Well, that was interesting.
Hope you like it...

.mp3    Passenger Side.mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

hey letifer85,

Drums sound fantastic! Balance during intro sounds really good too. When the vox comes in for the verse though the balance doesn't seem quite right.....could be too much drum, could be not enough vox. I sort of felt i had to turn up the volume to hear the vox but when i did, I had to turn it down again straight away as i felt the drums were a bit loud. For me, that's always a sign that something isn't quite right.

Once we get to the chorus the balance seems better so maybe some (more) automation would help dial in the balance from section to section.

I think the vox could do with some eq work. Some examples from early in the song.

@ 0.49 "everybody seems to know your name" has some weird low mid resonance - i'd say around 100-250hz
@ 1.09 " i cant hold on" sounds really nasally, like she's holding her nose. Again, some work around 1000-1500 hz could help

both these are from the verse so its possible that they're coming from other instruments and some how interacting with the vox and becoming audible because the vox is low in the balance. Improving the balance may mitigate these effects - or could make them worse. depends what is causing them.

hope this helps.

Cheers
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Hey HbGuitar,
Thanks for the listen...
Really appreciate feedback, thank you.
Fair enough... thats what I get for being lazy.
This is actually my biggest problem, skipping the latest steps in the mix.
By the time I get to this point my ears are quite deef(not an excuse), and I'm tired in general, so I kinda bounce thinking "mehh its good enough", but it never is!
Thank you!
(24-03-2019, 10:32 AM)letifer85 Wrote: Hey HbGuitar,
Thanks for the listen...
Really appreciate feedback, thank you.
Fair enough... thats what I get for being lazy.
This is actually my biggest problem, skipping the latest steps in the mix.
By the time I get to this point my ears are quite deef(not an excuse), and I'm tired in general, so I kinda bounce thinking "mehh its good enough", but it never is!
Thank you!

Sometimes its worth sleeping on a mix before posting.....just to do a final check with fresh ears. Other times its just good to be excited about a mix and post it. I think either way is fine.

keep it up!
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Hey,
Really nice work. Very natural sounding mix. I agree with HbGuitar about the vocal processing. You could fight for less nasal timbre. I also had impression when instruments comes in drums feels a bit to prominent, but maybe it just an impression when listening to many version of this song Smile. Good Job!
Great use of the environment. I like the pre-delay on the drum room and the space you put the guitar in as well as the Hammond. I'm a bit surprised on the lack of depth on the background vocals. They are an easy get. This was not an easy mix for me to find but you've done a great job of it.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(14-04-2019, 12:53 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Great use of the environment. I like the pre-delay on the drum room and the space you put the guitar in as well as the Hammond. I'm a bit surprised on the lack of depth on the background vocals. They are an easy get. This was not an easy mix for me to find but you've done a great job of it.

Hey Mixinthecloud,
Sorry for the late response(I moved to another country and had a lot going on)
Thank you very much for the review. Smile
I always struggle with vocals... also by the time I get to them I'm usually sound deaf and to anxious to get the mix done. I should prolly come back to the vocal the next day, but I can't help my self Smile

Cheers from Prague Smile