Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My very first mixing.... Is it always so hard?
Hello!

This is my first thread an my first mixing attempt, so, be gentle (well, only a little... better... don´t)

It has been very tricky for me to make something listenable, and above all tame all those guitars. I hope your ears don´t bleed too much.

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for my english

.mp3    Hollowstate_Gravediggers.mp3 --  (Download: 10.15 MB)

It's weird. This is the third or more song today touting it's the first mix someone's doing. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Yeah, this mix is making my ears bleed. It's not just the guitar.
Ok. This song isn't that tricky. Yeah, there's a lot going on but that just means there's more to screw up. If this is your first attempt at mixing then, cool.
Pretend you're driving a car. On this mix, you hit the accelerator and crashed. Go slow. Don't eq. Just adjust levels. Just use the basics. All those room mics? dump them. The Kick and Snare FX tracks? Meh. Don't need them. The extra percussion tracks? Don't worry about them. What you have left can be balanced into a solid song. Get a good blend of those tracks. will it be an awesome mix? Doubtful. But it won't make ears bleed.
Reference another song to get perspective. As of now, you tried too hard. A good part of mixing is knowing your ingredients and not messing them up too much.

I dunno. It's not a great mix. I think it's because you're trying to force it. That's what I'm tying to present. You're learning and trying and it's totally cool. Try again. And again. It's a start. Don't get discouraged.

Sorry for my english, I'm an american. I can barely speak correctly. Also, kinda drunk. I've had a long day. That said, you're off to a good start and can communicate in multiple languages. That's better than most.
Thanks for the feedback, Roy. I really appreciate your advices.

Quote:It's weird. This is the third or more song today touting it's the first mix someone's doing. Maybe it's just a coincidence.
I suppose spring makes flourish wannabe producers like me everywhere.

Quote:Yeah, there's a lot going on but that just means there's more to screw up
Best piece of advice ever. I love to screw up stuff! Tongue

First of all, I will try harder and will get to take over those volumes and general balance. I will discard some stems and try again. And again. It is kinda weird, but this trial and error process seems to me very appetizing. Am I sick, doctor?

Thanks again, almost drunk american guy. Seriously, you have really encouraged me.

EDIT: Yesterday i only listened to the mix in my headphones. I am listening it now through my computer speakers. I think i am deafer now. Don't judge me for humanity crimes, please, altough i deserve it... [mental note: Reference and all the epeakers test]

Well, i am here again with a new version of the song, following the Roy's advices. I like this more than the other one, but i think i have spent so many time on the song that i think i can't be objective...

Thanks for the feedback

.mp3    Hollowstate_Gravediggers MASTER.mp3 --  (Download: 10.15 MB)

Mix 2 is better but i don't like the drumsound. They have no tone.
Thank you for the feedback, Mr Moth. Just for make my best, what do you mean with they have no tone? are they not in tune? or just have an ugly sound?