Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesper Buhl Trio - What Is The Thing Called Love - Mix By T.Hellsten
For my personal taste its too boomy, roomy and sound a bit compressed too.
I think the room you choose makes the music a bit distant, and my ears tell me some o the boominess come from room, did you locut verb ? The verb on bass is somthin that can sound wonderful sometimes, but I think you overdid it, and on drums as the drum solo play now.
I think you went a little overboard helping the drum and bassolo, it doesnt sound natural.
I would backoff a lot o verb and also choose a shorter one.
The pannin is another subject, this recordin is really hard to make a stereo drum sound on, in my approach I went for th classic trio jazz thing, 3 players panned one middle 2 a bit to each side. That way the listener dont get confused when suddenly the piano mics pick up a lot o one cymbal and the drum kit is all over the stereo field.

When this is said I can somehow understand your approach, as jazz is often played in cellars with concrete walls and can sound somthin like this if not many people are in the club.
I´ll suggest fillin the imaginary space with some audience, to soften the verb tone or maybe choose some wooden walls Big Grin

And remember: if you like your mix this is just my opinions, written for you to use or not. Your choice.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesper Buhl Trio - What Is The Thing Called Love - Mix By T.Hellsten - by Voelund - 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM