Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Gin Is Gone
All The Gin Is Gone

.mp3    All the Gin is gone.mp3 --  (Download: 8.62 MB)

Tonally it all works.
I could use a little more mids in the kick to have it pop out a little more in the mix. I'm on earbuds so it's hard to judge the low end of the kick. I feel it and it works in the drum solo section (am I hearing a gate open?) but I'm missing it a bit in the rest of the song.
The overall reverb is a little long and it gets a washy. The cymbals move a bit through the piano solo. It might be how the reverb bounces off the hats/ride. Hat might be loud.
Overall it feels compressed and "safe" and makes the piano feel small.
I'd also ride the piano back during the horn solos but that might be a result of the compression flattening the dynamics.
The image seems to lean to the right but maybe that's me. Between the hats, right hand of the piano, and the sax it skews everything to the right.
The sax seems louder than the trumpet. I think the trumpet could exist more in the space opposite the piano. Not hard right but maybe panned to 10 o'clock or more. It might give more space to the trombone which I keep forgetting exists. But that might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Sorry to meander. I haven't had my coffee yet. These are all minor points. It sounds pretty good but could use some tweaks to make it fit the genre more. Hope that helps.
I would have replaced the kick - because it is jazz did not want it very prominent - really wanted snare and hihat more. You may notice too much highhat I intended to pull the stick on the ride out but pulled out the hihat as I thought that the drummer was hitting that - did that on the master using BX- pan eq (a new toy) as for the reverb I suspect that is the room I created, put everything through it except the bass so you are probably right on that one. If I revisit this one I will look at all of this - a case of mix it upload it and next practice mix. Thanks.