Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Two Bare Hands-RoyM mix
Here's a quick version of this one. As an experiment I used nothing but "SSL" plug-ins. Except for a delay and verb. (Maybe an L3 on the out but I can't remember). Mostly the Channel Strip but also the SSL Compressor and EQ on the mix bus. Hopefully the mix works.

Thanks for listening!
Edit: Hmmm, the bass is definitely off. I'll probably tweak that later. It's weird how I hear stuff while listening to the two-mix that I don't hear during the actual mix. I think I just listen differently to a printed version for some reason. Oh well.

Edit 2: [Mix 02C] - I redid the mix this time just using mostly API based plugins. Except for the effects, master and De-esser. I don't know if I fixed any of the issues in the first mix. It'll be interesting to see if I make the same mistakes again.

Edit 3: [Mix 03I] - Gave it another shot. Not sure. Too thin? Too compressed? Too boring?

.mp3    TwoBareHands-RMMix01A.mp3 --  (Download: 7.56 MB)

.mp3    TwoBareHands-RMMix02C.mp3 --  (Download: 7.56 MB)

.mp3    TwoBareHands-RMMix03I.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

"There were too many of us, we had access to too much equipment, too much money, and little by little we went insane."
Hi. I would add more hit hat and more second guitar in the chorus. However, sounding good ("the bass").
Box sound good.Kick seems a bit loud.Nice mix.
Thanks for listening. I need to redo this one. It's pretty flat and the parts aren't there yet. Oh well.
"There were too many of us, we had access to too much equipment, too much money, and little by little we went insane."
3/11/19 Added "API" mix
hey Roy.

Listened to API mix ( and very briefly SSL). I like your API mix much more. Great sounding drums and bass and i think i prefer the dryer vocals of the API too. Instrument balance works so all in all a good job all-round. Nice Cool

Cheers

btw, are you seriously still mixing in earbuds??
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(21-03-2019, 11:57 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: hey Roy.

Listened to API mix ( and very briefly SSL). I like your API mix much more. Great sounding drums and bass and i think i prefer the dryer vocals of the API too. Instrument balance works so all in all a good job all-round. Nice Cool

Cheers

btw, are you seriously still mixing in earbuds??

Cool. Thanks.
Yeah, I'm still on Apple earbuds. I'm somewhat homeless and without a spot to setup any real monitor setup. I guess I'm familiar with them.

Listening back for the first time since I mixed this and it's not there yet. I need to do a proper version.
Comparison of the mixes points favorably towards API.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
on Remote Desktop Server with Dante (ask for details)
[email protected]
In general I like this mix very much, and I prefer slightly the "C" version. Here are a few more comments to that version:
  • Fun delay (but sometimes the delayed transient are distracting) :-)
  • Left/right balance (in general and within bands) feels a bit off when the arrangement is not full (intro, verses).
  • On the other hand, the panning decisions which cause the imbalance really pay off in the well-balanced sections :-)
  • The level of the figurative guitar is just perfect.
  • The vocal seems inconsistent sometimes.
  • I like how you handled the bass.