Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore Mix
Nice chilled out song Smile

Kept it pretty simple here, tried to stay true to the sound of the recording. Biggest challenge was creating a lift in the chorus when the cleaner guitars come in, but I think I got it.

Cheers lads.

.mp3    Shore Mixed.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)

It feels really good. Clear without being overly bright or anything harsh. The center, acoustic sounding guitar in the chorus feels a little loud. I think that's because you may have been trying for that "lift". I think though that the main guitars might be a little loud and could come down overall. Then you'll have even more room for the chorus build.
The slide into the solo is kind of annoying but that's minor. But it speaks to me trying really hard to find any issues with this one.
Good work.
(10-03-2019, 03:23 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It feels really good. Clear without being overly bright or anything harsh. The center, acoustic sounding guitar in the chorus feels a little loud. I think that's because you may have been trying for that "lift". I think though that the main guitars might be a little loud and could come down overall. Then you'll have even more room for the chorus build.
The slide into the solo is kind of annoying but that's minor. But it speaks to me trying really hard to find any issues with this one.
Good work.

Hi Roy, thanks for listening. Yeah I often struggle balancing pokey clean guitars like this and I agree, they could probably come down overall. I think you're right, it seems I just pushed them up a bit too much to try to bring the energy up.

Cheers.
Hey, P! With this kind of mixes where there's nothing weird happening and you can see the mixer knows its craft, I can only think of balance and tonality to look at. Balance is great to me, I don't think the verses guitars are particularly loud (the issues to get that lift are down to the arrangement, thou maybe boosting the OH's in the refrain might help; I didn't see any guitar out of place thru your choruses). Maybe vocals in the choruses are too shoegazer like, falling behind the verses vocals.

Global tonality seems to be a little dark and muddy, kinda slows the tune down and takes some excitement off (maybe my mix it's harsh, I don't know). It feels a little hometape like. Is this mastered? It makes the feel like I'm listening to a great mix recorded from the radio, or a VHS tape, if you know what I mean. Otherwise, tasty job!
Just posted this mix myself (after 2 disaster mixes today) nice to do a decent song.

I ditched all cymbals in my mix and probably some of the guitars just to clean things -there is a lot of clutter - and went back into the 80s with it. Like the bass sound but there does seem to be a lot of noise - Fret/string noise especially at the beginning actually starts to sound like someone talking in the background.