Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollowstate: Gravediggers
Finally got a chance to tinker with this a bit. Would appreciate any feedback. Cheers Smile

.mp3    hollowstate_gravediggers_print1_axxessdenied.mp3 --  (Download: 10.15 MB)

.mp3    hollowstate_gravediggers_print2_axxessdenied.mp3 --  (Download: 10.15 MB)

Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
sounds nice!

vocal sibilance perhaps too strong around 8kHz. maybe some other elements momentarily too.

nice gritty bass sound. although bass could probably go down a bit?

overall levels seem to work, but perhaps you could bring out 'rest of the stuff' more? its a bit 'drum n bass' heavy at the moment.

vocals are sitting nicely in from of things.

the original arrangement is indeed very dense, and many of the tracks are obviously not meant to be used as whole. you could make room in your mix also by editing stuff out?

overall tone has a nice vibe.

id say your about 60% done. ^_^

Lots of nice elements so far. I think the verses sound really good and have great balance.

I think you may have some low end masking/phase cancellation problems. The kick sounds huge in the verses e.g after the vocal in verse one "...cant stop looking up" and drums pattern is kick, kick, snare. Sounds excellent! but during the choruses when the bass is less staccato and therefore taking up more low end bandwidth the kick seems to drop 3 dB in level. There may also be phase issues with the electronic kick that comes in then too. Some 6dB/oct low passing on bass and/or e-kick may help possible phase cancellation in this area

From a long term dynamic point of view, the choruses seem smaller than the verses. The percussion gives lots of width during the verse but then that all collapses in the choruses and i can only really hear the soaring chorus guitars in the central channel. I'm not sure if that's where they're panned but that's the effect I'm hearing.

The guitar solo is also oddly low.....its quieter than the bass and rhythm guitars and way quieter than the post solo FX guitars in the breakdown that follows.

Its a deceptively tricky mix, not helped by the original arrangement that seems to have everything playing at the same time.

Good job so far - you're probably a few editing decisions away from a great sounding mix.

cheers,

Simon

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Appreciate the detailed critiques! I'm glad it's on a good path so far Smile I started this mix at like 5 am and then realized it was way to light outside so I posted it and went to bed HAH!
This has been a super interesting mix for me since I just recently updated monitors and this is the first thing I've tinkered with outside of listening to music to get used to them.
Agreed the bass was way too loud I think I've dropped it like 3db since posting.
You are 100% about there being phase issues. I flipped the phase on the kick sample and it seems to help. Looking forward to posting an update. Really appreciate the listen Smile
Niko
Alright added an updated version. Readjusted the levels of the kick, bass and guitars. automated the kick and bass a bit and tried to pull away some energy from the verses to make the chorus section sound bigger. made the solos more prominent since they were buried before.
Niko
Hi print2 is my favorite every thing seems more controlled,i like the punch in the chorus well done.
Reaper user
(25-02-2019, 11:18 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi print2 is my favorite every thing seems more controlled,i like the punch in the chorus well done.

Thanks a lot! I feel like certain sections might be a touch bass heavy and could use some more fine tuned automation but overall I am pretty happy with the result. Glad the chorus is nice and punchy now. I decided to automate a high-pass on the bass track and re-focus where the meat of the kick is in the chorus so it's more midrange focused and doesn't compete with the increased low-end on the bass.
Niko