Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gravediggers - HB Mix
Its been a while since I last saw a session with quite so many drum room and OH tracks. Was a bit worried about potential phase cancellation with so many tracks of the same thing so did a bit of work around that.

Ended up using Foo Fighter's "Wheels", specifically the chorus, as a reference which really helped me place all the elements - in such a potentially dense mix its easy to end up with mush.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, 1.1a, uploaded below

.mp3    Gravediggers_HB Mix 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.13 MB)

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Hi Hbg iam listening through headphones an it seem as you concentrated your sonics mainly on the hi mids on the gtrs ,not sure if iam being biased towards my own mix!also drum punch is lacking!backing voc are perfect though,thanks for sharing
Reaper user
There's a lot of 60hz hum coming through on the one fill guitar with the way you EQ'd it. Might want to approach it a bit different.
Sounds like a good start. I think the bass and kick lack a little oomph. but the 60hz hum coming through from the guitars is a bit distracting. Vox sound like they are in a good spot.
Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
(23-02-2019, 06:24 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Hbg iam listening through headphones an it seem as you concentrated your sonics mainly on the hi mids on the gtrs ,not sure if iam being biased towards my own mix!also drum punch is lacking!backing voc are perfect though,thanks for sharing

Thanks for listening - yeah, so much going on in low mids i decided to push the tops of the guitars.

cheers
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

(23-02-2019, 08:18 PM)axxessdenied Wrote: There's a lot of 60hz hum coming through on the one fill guitar with the way you EQ'd it. Might want to approach it a bit different.
Sounds like a good start. I think the bass and kick lack a little oomph. but the 60hz hum coming through from the guitars is a bit distracting. Vox sound like they are in a good spot.

hey man, thanks for listening. yeah that hum is off putting....i only had that guitar in verse 2 as an effect to add some contrast but i could just as easily have muted it from the whole session. It had a great rhythm but the hum is brutal Smile.

cheers, simon

new version, 1.1a

Decided not to make any revisions in-mix, too burnt out on the song, but instead opted for a mastering like EQ adjustment (1-1.5dB moves) to see if I could enhance. IMO it seems to to improve overall tonality and spaciousness, especially in the verses.

1. low end bump for punch
2. low mid cut to remove mud
3. low upper mid range cut to remove harshness
4. upper mid range boost to add space/air

have kept level of this version identical to previous version (v1.1) = -13 LUFS

.mp3    Gravediggers_HB Mix 1.1a.mp3 --  (Download: 10.13 MB)

I think the guitar is to harsh and the riff played just before the vers, have lots of noice to it. I like the ambiance in the drumtrack but my ears bleed form the guitar. Sad