Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.17 Average
mITc's Hollowstate - Gravediggers - Mix 2
(18-02-2019, 04:06 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I'm starting to mess with this song again. One thing that I've found works on some of the guitar tracks was a compliments a slight pan especially when a track has a complimentary part. Pan both tracks opposite each other, say, 25-50% in either direction and you get some of the benefits of panning wile still retaining a lot of the stereo effect on each track.

I panned parts differently in Mix 2 which I believes gives more depth to the melodic content of the guitar parts and fills in the mix. Lots of changes to Mix 2.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I don't know. The guitar sound pretty 'phasy' to me. Not wide but more out of phase mono of side info and I think it needs more of the mid channel back to synthesize that stereo width. It feels somewhat disconnected.
I definitely know I'm one of the people who gave short shrift to the drum loop but no matter what I tried I couldn't make it fit and ultimately I didn't think the loop added anything to the arrangement. You did a good job making it stand out but I'm still not sure if it works as an elemental part. I need to check out the original version and see how they had it in the mix.
I know this isn't all that helpful.
mix 2 sounds good, but you might have gone too far with the mid/siding on some of teh elements. it usually quite good guideline to keep sound between speakers when adjusting 'width' or the level on side channel. ^_^
(21-02-2019, 10:02 PM)kapu Wrote: mix 2 sounds good, but you might have gone too far with the mid/siding on some of teh elements. it usually quite good guideline to keep sound between speakers when adjusting 'width' or the level on side channel. ^_^

I've never been good at 'coloring inside the lines'...Tongue
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey MITC.

Listened to mix 2. I really like how creative you've been with all the elements and it sounds like you've done a lot of work choosing FX and writing automation. As a listener there seems to be like a never ending selection of little sonic treats being brought forward for our attention so I have to commend you on your vision and engineering chops.

only slight comment would be to bring up a bit more level on the acoustic kick during verses......occasionally it doesn't seem to support the base and percussion as much as it could.

great job!

cheers,

Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(23-02-2019, 01:09 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Hey MITC.

Listened to mix 2. I really like how creative you've been with all the elements and it sounds like you've done a lot of work choosing FX and writing automation. As a listener there seems to be like a never ending selection of little sonic treats being brought forward for our attention so I have to commend you on your vision and engineering chops.

only slight comment would be to bring up a bit more level on the acoustic kick during verses......occasionally it doesn't seem to support the base and percussion as much as it could.

great job!

cheers,

Simon

Simon,
Thanks for the listen and thanks for the compliments. I did work hard at finding melodic figures to bring into focus throughput the song from phrase to phrase, section to section. Finding the right place for the kick when it is present was a fight so yes, it may want to come up a bit.

Again, thanks for the comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]