Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directions_Tom McKenzie
Nicely tracked. I wonder what pre amps or console was used?

.mp3    Directions_Tom McKenzie_ZM11.mp3 --  (Download: 6.33 MB)

We're all just a bunch of freqs in this crazy world.
I just heard the final mix of this on YouTube. If I would have heard that first I may have taken a different approach. But variety is the spice of life I guess. What do you guys think?

I never listened to the original mix. I'll check it out after I reply. This is a very good technical mix. Maybe too technical? The only thoughts that really occurred to me is that the bass notes of the guitar might be too...loud?...resonant? Not sure. My mind isn't working right at the moment. That and the overall song could be more dynamic and grow and bloom more. It's a solid mix but flat. Usually I'm fine with that but for a small, intimate song like this I want it to say more in every direction it can. No pun intended. If this was a balls to the wall rock song it'd be perfect but for a small song I want it to make more of a statement.

I feel like that was a really pretentious assessment but I stand by it. It's great technically but needs more emotion.

Hope that helps.
lol I appreciate your pretentiousness Roy. But yes, I may have overcooked it Smile
(18-02-2019, 08:24 PM)Faders_up Wrote: lol I appreciate your pretentiousness Roy. But yes, I may have overcooked it Smile
Ha. I was going to be even more pretentious but I held back.
Don't misunderstand, it's a very very good mix. It doesn't sound over compressed or anything.
I'm not saying my mix is better but I think it illustrates my thoughts about this sonically and it's probably in the other direction.
I'm not great at assessing the technical details. Especially over earbuds. Though I've been in the game long enough. Ultimately, I'm more concerned with the emotional and gut impacts a mix makes more than the technical. That's the most important thing in the end.

But don't misunderstand, great job.

I totally agree. The emotionally delivery is definitely more important than the technical delivery. So many great songs are very simply arranged and not over mixed. There is definitely a talent to that.

Mixers exist in a weird world. We walk that line between art and technology and it's hard to keep balance. It's relatively unique. An artist and musician could try to describe a sound they want in the most abstract way and we have to translate that into a piece of gear or at least a general effect or sonic landscape. And we have to be equally adept to their artistic ability to translate it well.
And then hopefully get paid.
I need a beer.