Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better'
So, here´s my late addition to the patreon-contest, thanks Mike, Hannes and Mixerman for this great opportunity!

I guess a mix is finished when you constantly feel like jumping out of the chair and move your ass! In fact, I see this cool song more as kind of a summer hit with girls dancing to the song on a beach, drinking pina coladas, only tiny bikinis on and shaking some... ok, I'm digressing...

Anyway, wanted to create a mix that supports exactly that feeling and that already great groove. So I went for an upfront and punchy character with not too big reverbs and created some “funky” elements, like the wah-guitar and a little loop that I tinkered from a whistle-phrase. Also spent some time getting the offbeat guitar and piano chords right to support the groove more. Of course it´s also a singer-songwriter tune, but getting the vocals right is a matter of course for any genre anyway.

Hope you like it.

.mp3    Hannes Keseberg - \'You Know Better\' - HerbFelho Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.33 MB)

Hi Herb -- as I'd expect from you, this is a very confidently balanced and processed mix! What was unexpected, though, was the wealth of creativity you've brought to bear, which brought a big smile to my face at various points: the cool wah solo guitar, that flown-in watery processed whistle, the super-close Chorus 3 guitar/congas drop, the full-sounding Outro mob-vocals... all reasons to be cheerful! There's really very little to criticise, to be honest, but here are some ideas:
  • Although I love your creative arrangement decisions here, in terms of fulfilling the mix brief you're perhaps in slightly risky territory, because you've moved quite a long way from the band's original guitar sounds, and that whistle effect messes with the pitch clarity in a way that might raise some eyebrows. I like these things a lot personally, but I can imagine the band might feel differently! Smile
  • I love the clarity of your lead vocal tone, but I wonder whether it could have a touch more warmth to it, given Hannes's stated references and generally slightly crooner-style delivery. It just seems to get a little thin when he hits his chest voice in particular.
  • Your vocal balancing is exceptional -- one of the most impressive aspects of this mix to me, in fact, because it was something that pretty much everyone else struggled with to an extent.

Hope some of this is some help -- and congratulations on delivering such a strong competition entry!
(11-03-2019, 11:57 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Hi Herb -- as I'd expect from you, this is a very confidently balanced and processed mix! What was unexpected, though, was the wealth of creativity you've brought to bear, which brought a big smile to my face at various points: the cool wah solo guitar, that flown-in watery processed whistle, the super-close Chorus 3 guitar/congas drop, the full-sounding Outro mob-vocals... all reasons to be cheerful! There's really very little to criticise, to be honest, but here are some ideas:
  • Although I love your creative arrangement decisions here, in terms of fulfilling the mix brief you're perhaps in slightly risky territory, because you've moved quite a long way from the band's original guitar sounds, and that whistle effect messes with the pitch clarity in a way that might raise some eyebrows. I like these things a lot personally, but I can imagine the band might feel differently! Smile
  • I love the clarity of your lead vocal tone, but I wonder whether it could have a touch more warmth to it, given Hannes's stated references and generally slightly crooner-style delivery. It just seems to get a little thin when he hits his chest voice in particular.
  • Your vocal balancing is exceptional -- one of the most impressive aspects of this mix to me, in fact, because it was something that pretty much everyone else struggled with to an extent.

Hope some of this is some help -- and congratulations on delivering such a strong competition entry!

Hey Mike,

thanks for the critique!

Very glad to hear you like it so much, and you are certainly right when you say I probably just went a bit too far from the band´s vision.
I hindsight I should have presented my ideas like the effected whistle snipped and the wah wah effect in a more subtle way I guess.
But who knows, in the end it´s all about taste and subjectivity and I could just as well hit the nail on the head.
"No risk, no fun" (I once learned that this english phrase is only used by germans, and not known to or used by native english speakers - stangely enough - but I think you know what I mean Smile

Again, it´s been a great learning experience, so thanks for all the time and work!
Cheers,
Herb