Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix for Comments
I am mustering up the courage to post my mix of a song to the public. Of course, I like it but the real question is how does it appeal to my peers who also mix songs like this. I didn't attempt to do anything fancy or extra i nthe mix/ arrangement. Just strive for a nice smooth blend/balanced mix. I did use my AKG K712 (flat Freq response) headphone due to a lack of near field monitors currently.
Obviously looking for honest feedback.
thx all !

.mp3    HeartPeripheral_Ev136a.mp3 --  (Download: 4.73 MB)

(13-02-2019, 09:23 PM)dwilliams Wrote: I am mustering up the courage to post my mix of a song to the public. Of course, I like it but the real question is how does it appeal to my peers who also mix songs like this. I didn't attempt to do anything fancy or extra i nthe mix/ arrangement. Just strive for a nice smooth blend/balanced mix. I did use my AKG K712 (flat Freq response) headphone due to a lack of near field monitors currently.
Obviously looking for honest feedback.
thx all !

Thanks for taking the plunge, no one here will bite you (that's what my pit bull is for) hehe. Nice balance... nothing stood out on my Presonus Eris E5's ( not the best but adequate) the art of mixing seems to be more subjective to taste, and the quality of gear (does help). Some folks here have full-blown and well tuned studios, others (like me) just mix in an open room with no treatment at all... so no taboo on the cans. Anyway, not really into "techie" critiquing (try as you will you'll never please everyone) sounds good (to me) have FUN mixing... Cool
Tone is in the ear of the beholder....
Okay well Mongo got one thing wrong, I will bite... Just kidding. But not really.

Anyway, props for putting up the mix, I totally get where you're coming from. Personally, every time I upload I kind of feel that way because I'm never 100% happy with my mixes. So when people do give that "techie" feedback, I know I'll probably be like "yeah, I know" and want to make changes.

As so much of mixing is subjective, I think the best thing to take away from techie feedback is just opinions of how different people hear the direction of songs. It shouldn't be taken as gospel that what someone else thinks would be better, is better, because I agree with Mongo, you will never please everyone.

I also mix on headphones sometimes on my laptop, depending on the time or if I can be bothered sitting at a desk fiddling with stuff. As long as you're conscious of how the moves you're making affect the sound on monitors, it's really quite fine. I would recommend referencing on laptop speakers or your phone though, it gives you a better idea of where the vocal is sitting.

As for your mix (lol finally getting around to it), I think it's really good. The vocal sounds really nice and honestly that's 90% of what matters here. Reminds me of some great 90's dance tracks. The dynamic between verse and chorus is sweet. There's one piece of percussion on the right channel (2nd half of chorus) that has a strong high frequency attack that pokes a little but its not a real problem.

Banger. Good stuff.
I hadn't been on this site for years and I decided to look up this song in particular, and thought, "Hmm, I wonder if this is the d. williams I think it is?" Big Grin

It's certainly a subjective matter, so here are my completely subjective comments Smile

I like it! The drum fills and the distortion in the last pre-chorus buildup are great additions.

The vocal in this song (and even the lyrics) presents a bit of a challenge in de-essing. In the chorus there's "...sight. Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze" so A LOT of high frequency 'ssssss' that could probably be tamed in this mix. Your choice of reverb accentuates this as well. I think when I mixed this song (years ago now, so the memory is vague!) I didn't use any reverb on the vocal.

Research Scientist, interested in Audio Technology and Psychoacoustics.
Music Producer and Audio Engineer.

Mixing livestreams --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc4fser...o60xeOPDHQ

Speak your mind --- https://www.minds.com/alexwilson?referrer=alexwilson