Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
On the line - voelund
(26-09-2013, 03:28 PM)Voelund Wrote: A good song that is, and well played, when you get to understand the interaction of the cello and mandolin parts. I started out mutin way too much and had a listen to other mixes, then realized what I heard as chaos were actually organized chaos - so I ended up muting only a few parts.
Mikes excellent article was a very good guideline in eq, cudo to him I achieved a sound I would never have gotten on my own. The little notch in the vocals at 2770 Hz made a big diffrence, as did the eq curves for the cello and mandolins, I had instinctly made them brighter but the mids are just lovely that way.
I hope you will take the time to listen and comment and critizism are most welcome. Im here to learn !
I added my trusted old LXP 1 looong hall very drastically hicut at some 2900 Hz to mandolin and a bit to cello to create some of the space Sergio did, but I took it easier on the brightening. Alternative versions are good I think.
Also I muted the drums for the first verse, makes a nice build up that way. I stole Mikes idea for the verse after solo, heartbeat rhythm from drums and the last chord from guitars copied to make the gap more believable :-)

All in all a very good experience mixin this song and I hope I learned something I can define and use on my own from the eq tricks Mike so generously put up.

I like your mix a lot, man
I can hear the song over the mixing job
Congrats
d
Thank you both. Makes me glad those mixes still gets an occasitional listen.
This great site has a lot o inspiration to learn and steal from.
Have fun Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order