Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
On the line - voelund
A good song that is, and well played, when you get to understand the interaction of the cello and mandolin parts. I started out mutin way too much and had a listen to other mixes, then realized what I heard as chaos were actually organized chaos - so I ended up muting only a few parts.
Mikes excellent article was a very good guideline in eq, cudo to him I achieved a sound I would never have gotten on my own. The little notch in the vocals at 2770 Hz made a big diffrence, as did the eq curves for the cello and mandolins, I had instinctly made them brighter but the mids are just lovely that way.
I hope you will take the time to listen and comment and critizism are most welcome. Im here to learn !
I added my trusted old LXP 1 looong hall very drastically hicut at some 2900 Hz to mandolin and a bit to cello to create some of the space Sergio did, but I took it easier on the brightening. Alternative versions are good I think.
Also I muted the drums for the first verse, makes a nice build up that way. I stole Mikes idea for the verse after solo, heartbeat rhythm from drums and the last chord from guitars copied to make the gap more believable :-)

All in all a very good experience mixin this song and I hope I learned something I can define and use on my own from the eq tricks Mike so generously put up.

.mp3    On the line 03-lim.mp3 --  (Download: 5.93 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I really like your mix and your way of seeing and recreate things, you have a musical and auditory acuity is achieved only through time and talent (not abundant). It's like there's a saying in my country that says, "painter becomes one not to have wanted to paint, but he who knows how to paint". is more or less the same here, not mixed well it wants, but he who knows how to mix. I hope you understand what I meant, sorry for my bad English.

a hug friend

Sergio
lo que natura non da, salamanca non presta

ikke, at arten, er Salamanca ikke betale
Appreciated Sergio and thank you lots ! I get the picture. I guess we all steal and borrow a little from eachother :-) And that is ok, for noone else is you, noone else is me, and we all mix diffrently, thank God.
Thank you for the kind words Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
beautiful mix from beginning to end!! great job!!
mixing since April 2013
lovely sounding mix Big Grin!

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thank you Don
Sounds very good and balanced to me.

I like the stereo image. It's wide.
But at the same time it feels that all the instruments are in front of the stage in a row. It sounds like wide but narrow room. To get just a little bit more dimensionality, maybe something could be behind that row in the center. It could be just a little bit of room sound or early reflections to drums. Or something else.

Feels like Cello moves from center to right in the beginning (0.o5). It sounds odd.
Good suggestion Olli. I will add a bit o mono short verb to drums n all. About the cello, its actually 2 cellos, one panned to near middle plays a note and rhe pne panned right follows, so sound like its panned. But it disturbs. Good observation and thanks again Big Grin
Damn i really like this mix ,good job !!
It pulls me in from the beginning and encourages me too listen further ...awesome!
You got to believe in yourself before you can believe in anything else.