Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
lmat mixes
I like to keep jazz quite natural, but this one required a bit more of a touch to take it out of the studio. I left a pretty raw sound in the piano because it reminds me of many 40s and 50s recordings I have. The bass was quite quiet and lacked bass. Also, the kick drum was pretty weak and lacked bass presence. I wanted it to sound like a trio with each instrument fairly equal in the mix rather than piano+rhythm because the parts were played so well and thoughtfully.

I started by applying heavy compression to the bass sound to try to get him up in the mix permanently, but his mic was picking up so much drum sound, that simply wasn't possible. Instead, fader automation was necessary in several spots. Of course I turned up his solo, but there were some string slapping sounds that needed to be turned down. I may have too much bass at the beginning...but I like upright Confusedhrug:

The snare mic was pretty terrible. It captured the top drum head quite a bit, but almost none of the "snare" sound. It was far too ringy to be of much use. The batter side of the kick drum picked up the snare quite well, and since the kick drum was weak anyway, this wound up being an excellent accident to make the mix fall together nicely.

.mp3    jesperbuhltrio_r1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.66 MB)