Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday Flymix
here's my mix of this beautiful theme, mixed with sequoia, izotope Alloy (guitars), izotope nectar (voices), and directly to the master reverb with pre-delay to a good start, long reverb with eq, and very low mixing to mixture.
To achieve the spatial I wanted, the style of the Revs Ursa Major of the 80 `s.

hope you like

from the end of the world

Sergio

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    HOLIDAY.mp3 --  (Download: 7.75 MB)

Hi Sergio

When I heard the first strums fro the guitar it sounded really good, very bright and open, then with voices it begin to get problematic in my ears. I think I hear some phase issues and I hear the compressor work. I dont think this kind of music should have audible compression. Besides I noticed your audiofile clips. I ran the entire song through my daw at 0dB and had Roger Nichols inspector open, and it shows just under 200 clips for your audio file.
I can hear you compressed it a fair bit and gave it lots o hiend, but to me the phase issues introduced, probably from the boostin, is a high prize to pay for the "bigger than life" sound you get, it sounds impressive and tinklin - and phasey. And with recordings as clean as these its a darn shame !

For the clippin: Digital is very very unforgiving in overs. When uploadin a file to an online music player its wise to set the limiter to put out BELOW 0dB, somewhere between -0,3dB and - 1dB ceiling. I know when uploading to soundcloud it sounds much better havin the limit set high, to -1dB

I have many standard procedures when workin with audio, one o them is my last output file hits max -0,3 dB, and if its headin for soundcloud (since I learned about the problem) I have turned it down to -1dB

For the sound: Your balance is good, the room is sweet, a few places I miss a deesser before the long verb, I hicut my long verb very low, about 2900 hz, so not much "s" come through there ...
The comprssion makes things louder, but to me makes the fine little song sound unnatural, I think the key to this mix is a balance betweeen soundin natural and acceptin the sideeffects of the plugins we use to sweet it.
To make this long story short and clear: I think you went a little over the top, with makin it brighter - and compressin it.
Not meanin it sound bad, it doesnt and the clippin is not somthin I actually heard, but meanin what you used to create a beutiful and big sound has some sideeffects, that makes the mix less pleasin to listen to than I have heard you make in other mixes.

Thumbnail(s)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
My 2nd attemp!!

I think if I pass everything!! lol
I saw better and remove the compressors, and other deesers littering the mix, I will only lose volume and Voila ..... all float like a cork in water.
just leave the master rev.
I hope you like my second attempt.

thanks Niels!

From the other side of the world

Sergio

.mp3    holiday2ndtry.mp3 --  (Download: 7.75 MB)

Sounds beautiful ! Consider the idea of a deesser before the verb - it will make it less obvious and make the listener wondrin what is that great sound.
The guitar sounds really cool doubled, what did you do to it Big Grin
I know you come from analog world like me - and thats why I ask if you always mix that loud ? I used to mix well into the red on tape, for it sounded good, but in digital i try to keep at least under -6 dB when I mix. Many mixers recommend mixin as low as -12 dB. When I started usin digital i always tried to be as close to 0 dB as I could, but had to turn things down all the time not to get overs ...
I guess thats why they recommend that, and to give the master engineer more headroom without gainin down, when they do their magic.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
when mixed analogically to tape, trying to make peak-3dB -2 db or not over there, because when replicated on vinyl is always passed level.
now digital as there are no limits, mixed at any level and do not realize that Dbs miserable ruin what could have been an exquisite blend.
I do not mean by this that there is no exquisite blends high levels of mastering, but I have the hardware to do it and I do not have it with what ever cost.
But mixtures of low level are better.

from the other side of the world
I like the second mix much, much better than the first mix! in the second one you can hear everything clearer and the general sound is cleaner, which is something I love from your mixes.

I want to mix this one!!
mixing since April 2013
Second version sounds great to me Big Grin
To mix or not to mix ... mix!