Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Gravediggers Mix
Really cool song and a great recording here.

Spent a few hours this afternoon putting this together. Mixed with mostly stock Pro Tools plugins aside from a few limiters.

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers lads.

Update: Added tweaked version "Mixed 2"

.mp3    Gravediggers Mixed.mp3 --  (Download: 10.12 MB)

.mp3    Gravediggers Mixed 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.12 MB)

Hi!

Cool, mix, strong balance and very punchy!

I'm mixing the song right now, and it seems to me that in your mix there is is a fatiguing buildup in the mids.

I imported it to my session and I would say the 2k area is a bit overcooked. In particular, I think there is something specific happening around 1.8k.

I attached your mix that I eq'd and a screenshot of the eq.

What do you think ?

Best,
Raphaël.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    2k.mp3 --  (Download: 1.63 MB)

Cheers Raph! Yeah I did this all in one session and uploaded straight away, I realise now listening back what you're talking about. If I find time tomorrow, I'll have another crack.

Appreciate you actually listening and downloading like that, that's awesome. And I'm jealous you have the fabfilter stuff haha, I'm sick of the Pro Tools EQ, it sounds ugly.
Hi Pasta,
Sorry for the Late reply ,I like your Mix a lot nice solid work , can also hear what Raphal is hearing .
Can hear some subtle build up or resonances in the mid bass area, maybe some taming the guitars low frequencies below 300hz in the side channels or rolling off the sides using a mid side eq in side mode on the master bus ?
Uploaded a quick version of your mix rolling off below 300hz in the side channels and some sharp eq notches in the 140-600hz area including the ones already mentioned around the 2k area.
hopefully the bottom end of the kick and bass sounds tighter with a touch more punch ?

Cheers Big Grin

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Gravediggers Mixed-Pasta-eq.mp3 --  (Download: 10.16 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Morning boys!

The feedback from both of you has been really helpful, thanks for going into it like that.

I tweaked the mids and did some general fiddling about on the mix this morning. I think this version is better.

.mp3    Gravediggers Mixed 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.12 MB)

Nice punchy, great job! Grat!!!
hi! sounds great! especially guitars on chorus. maybe ease up on snare room/ambience/reverb. everything feels and sounds very good. great mixing. ^_^
Hey Pasta,

Checking your mixes, awesome stuff Big Grin

Really really cool mix here, it sounds super punchy! I could say the snare and toms are a bit over the top but it fits here and it's your take on the song, it makes it even more trippy, for some reason I think of Jane's Addiction when listening to your mix, there's a late 80s early 90s (early grunge era) vibe.

It all sounds incredible together, great build up and trippy mix, awesome.

I'll download it as a reference, it's great (I would not push the toms and snare that far though but it's just personal tastes Wink ).

Cheers
Quentin
Cheers boys, I appreciate you taking the time and the kind words.

I'm not especially happy with the sound of this, all seems a bit flabby and loose, I don't know. Might revisit it at some point.