Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix by Zbat (unmastered)
Hi,

I liked the vibe of the song even though I struggled a bit with the guitar that are a bit harsh and difficult to tame, played a lot with panning, EQ and a bit of compression.

I did not like the way the song started so had a bit of fun with some Vinyl crackles and the bottom end out so that the song pops when it starts.

The tambourine on the drums track was a bit of a pain as I wanted to amplify a tiny bit the transient but it made the tambourine super loud.

I like that the song is a bit thin, it kind of reminds me of the 90s trip hop etc. (from bands like Morcheeba, Portishead, or even Cold Cut, DJ Shadow etc.) and tried to keep it in the song.

I ran the back vocals through an amp to get a bit of distortion, this idea of adding distortion was stolen from @ZMoney who did it and it sounded awesome (thanks).

Please let me know what you think! I'd love to know.

Thanks a lot,
Quentin

.mp3    Leaf.mp3 --  (Download: 4.73 MB)

Quentin! I seem to be accidentally following you around this forum mixing all the same songs haha.

I really like your minimalist approach to this. The addition of vinyl crackle is perfect, I feel like that would have fit my mix great also. Too late now!

I definitely hear the influences you mentioned in this mix. Massive Attack was also a group that immediately came to mind for me when I heard this song. I think a few people approached this as a "rock-ish" mix because of the guitars in the chorus but I think you captured the vibe of the song really nicely by keeping it thinner and not overhyping it.

Personally, I'd have liked a little more presence in the vocal, but otherwise no complaints. Great job!
Hey man!

Yeah, probably a mix between being in a mix frenzy and having similar tastes ahah

Thanks glad you like it, I'll check yours as well asap! Thanks for the vinyl cracks, it's cool if it fits Big Grin
I just noticed where I got the idea from (and pretty much the mixing direction), it's Portishead's "Glory Box" that has the vinyl cracklings, this was a hip thing back then ahah

Thanks for the feedback on vocals, I think I am always scared of pushing the vocals too loud, I got traumatised as a band member that the engineer would always push the vocals way too loud in the mix, whether it's on stage or recordings and it always pissed me off ahah especially given I was really into shoegaze, noice etc. with vocals buried into a wall of sound. So I'm always careful of not having them too loud, which is a habit I need to break!

Cheers again!
Quentin