Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transparence mix for "Jesu bleibet meine Freude" from Asam Classical
First of all many thanks to Mike for his excellent website!

I´m really interested to get feedback for my little work, it´s a great way to learn more ...

Because Bach is one of my favourite composers, I found this recording very interesting, although there are some problems with intonation in the sung parts. I played some acoustical instruments in my youth and sung in a choir, so I had a quite concrete imagination of how the mix should sound.

For me it was obvious that the mix has to be as transparent as possible, so I placed the instruments in a way they had a minimal overlap. I ignored the original placement completely and decided only regarding transparence, so the mix is not „place realisitic“.

The oboes and cembalo are very superficial, and the hardest job was to bring an aesthetical balance between the voices and the oboes in the mix. It´s like a little puzzle ;-) - if you take presence from the oboes via eq, than you loose also much of the cello overtones and the "oboic character". I tried to compensate this lost by using the great SPL vitalizer plugin, but I´m shure there are other/better ways to give these instruments more definition and a maximum of realism. And I´m looking forward to hear some of these ways.

Great in this recording: it´s really dry, so it´s easy to place it in a big church and to cover some of the technical / interpretational difficulties and give it a gravely, intense and closed atmosphere but also more effortlessness. Altiverb did a good job (and the constructors of the St. Josephs Church too ;-).

Greets from Germany - I hope you will enjoy the mix!

Problems not solved
- My impression is there are problems with distortion in the beginning (0:27) in 05_Spot_Vocals, but it could also be a resonance, and it´s not strong (although it slightly hurts me every time)
- did not correct any intonation issues
- I think it would be good to give the violins more volume and room, but did not found a way to do that with a reasonable effort.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    asam_classical_9b.mp3 --  (Download: 5.61 MB)

I like what you've done with this in general, especially given the shortcomings of the multitrack in this instance. The oboe doesn't dominate, which is a considerable achievement, and yet I still feel I'm hearing enough detailed from the strings too. The harpsichord might be a bit high in the balance for me, although that might be just because I don't like harpsichords very much! Smile I like the lovely church-style bloom of the reverb you've chosen -- it's very dignified and really seems to suit the music -- and also that you seem to have opened it up more for the vocals. Nice!