Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' - Patrons Mixing Contest (BATstudio)
Hi everyone! Its my pre-version of Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better'
I work with this genre for the first time, so I will be glad if you criticize my work)
i'll try to get it sound more better when the contest-time will come!
Srry 4 my english
Cheers!

P.S. - 13/02/2019 update to version 3

.mp3    You Know Better 3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

Hi BG

Listened to it on the monitors. Nice balance, and love the arrangement. Nice Tones on the guitars.
2 things I hear, maybe the snare could use a bit more work to get it to pop a bit more, sounds a little boxy to me. The claps at the end, sound a bit metallic and not natural, maybe knock some highs off them. Other than that really clean and smooth mix.

Great Job!!!
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(20-01-2019, 01:44 PM)batguitar Wrote: Hi everyone! Its my pre-version of Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better'
I work with this genre for the first time, so I will be glad if you criticize my work)
Srry 4 my english
Cheers!

A great sounding mix, Bat-man. I did notice there were some significant differences in the levels of the lead guitars and I was really wanting to hear them evened out. They are like call and response figures and the responses did not match the call in many cases.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(20-01-2019, 05:00 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi BG

Listened to it on the monitors. Nice balance, and love the arrangement. Nice Tones on the guitars.
2 things I hear, maybe the snare could use a bit more work to get it to pop a bit more, sounds a little boxy to me. The claps at the end, sound a bit metallic and not natural, maybe knock some highs off them. Other than that really clean and smooth mix.

Great Job!!!

Yeap, i will fix the snare! Thank you KM)
(21-01-2019, 05:24 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(20-01-2019, 01:44 PM)batguitar Wrote: Hi everyone! Its my pre-version of Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better'
Srry 4 my english
Cheers!

A great sounding mix, Bat-man. I did notice there were some significant differences in the levels of the lead guitars and I was really wanting to hear them evened out. They are like call and response figures and the responses did not match the call in many cases.

Wow, really. I will fix this)) Thank you wery much Mixinthecloud!
P.S. - awe StudioOne!
I Fixed some things, now mix sounds lil better) Thank all the people for useful advices!
The new version is a great response to suggestions made. The sounds are all excellent and the balance is very engaging and draws the ear into your mix. Your drums are excellent and the feel pushes the arrangement very well. Excellent job. If this was in the competition I believe you would be a leader.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi batguitar! Although it's officially past the deadline for mix critiques, I'm actually a little ahead of schedule so I've still been able to sort out some feedback for you before the submission deadline:
  • The start and end of the mix file are both quite hissy, which slightly taints the first and last impressions of your mix. There are also frequent prominent HF clicks (brightened editing glitches from the conga part?), which get distracting during the more stripped-back parts of the arrangement.
  • The kick is dominating over the bass guitar at the low-end, which means there's less low-end support for the song's harmonies. In general, the bass guitar feels underbalanced overall too, given its melodic and rhythmic importance to the music. Whatever you do, though, I reckon you could trade in a little 150Hz for more sub-80Hz energy in the mix as a whole, and maybe cut a little around 1kHz too, as there's a slightly nasal quality to the mix tonality as it stands.
  • The global reverb feels rather splashy at the high-end, which distances the whole ensemble unduly, I think. That reverb also seems to be very mono-incompatible, so your mix sound changes quite a lot when heard over a single speaker.
  • In general the vocal balancing feels pretty respectable, although the low-frequency variability of the raw recording does destabilise the balance on occasion. The singer could do with a bit of de-essing too, because its bright effects are emphasising the sibilance.
  • The Outro could have a touch more mob vox and Hammond, I think, so the song goes out on more of a high.

Hope some of that input is useful -- thanks for posting your mix for us all to hear!
(28-01-2019, 01:01 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Hi batguitar! Although it's officially past the deadline for mix critiques, I'm actually a little ahead of schedule so I've still been able to sort out some feedback for you before the submission deadline:
  • The start and end of the mix file are both quite hissy, which slightly taints the first and last impressions of your mix. There are also frequent prominent HF clicks (brightened editing glitches from the conga part?), which get distracting during the more stripped-back parts of the arrangement.
  • The kick is dominating over the bass guitar at the low-end, which means there's less low-end support for the song's harmonies. In general, the bass guitar feels underbalanced overall too, given its melodic and rhythmic importance to the music. Whatever you do, though, I reckon you could trade in a little 150Hz for more sub-80Hz energy in the mix as a whole, and maybe cut a little around 1kHz too, as there's a slightly nasal quality to the mix tonality as it stands.
  • The global reverb feels rather splashy at the high-end, which distances the whole ensemble unduly, I think. That reverb also seems to be very mono-incompatible, so your mix sound changes quite a lot when heard over a single speaker.
  • In general the vocal balancing feels pretty respectable, although the low-frequency variability of the raw recording does destabilise the balance on occasion. The singer could do with a bit of de-essing too, because its bright effects are emphasising the sibilance.
  • The Outro could have a touch more mob vox and Hammond, I think, so the song goes out on more of a high.

Hope some of that input is useful -- thanks for posting your mix for us all to hear!

Thank you Mike! I tried to follow your advices, and now update to new version of the mix)