Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speak Softly - Broken Man
Hey,
I'm going to tell about my mixing:

MIX

I did some panning (like the pianos, the backing vocals and synth 2 to the left).
There is E.Q. on every track.
High-pass filters and slight 'cleaning'.
I created a second distorted bass track.
I found the bass to be quite low and unhearable so that's why I put some harmonics and extra gain on it. (read, I distorted it Big Grin)
Compression on every track, really simple, some where almost not compressed and others (like the backing vocals and bass) harder.
On the lead vocal I also put a delay, reverb (automated for the intro), lots of E.Q. (I found that the vocal track was 'muffled' and not bright enough.) and a deesser.
Four busses that where compressed, E.Q.-ed and where I added some tape saturation.

(For those who are maybe wandering, I used a demo version of Harrison Mixbus for mixing this song. It has a channel strip for every track, that is why I kind of compressed every track. In the end I find Mixbus just to be like Ardour so not worth the money. (Actually it is Ardour but with a prettier mixer window and slightly extra features. The editor window is exactly the same, you can import Ardour mixes into Mixbus for example.) )

MASTERING

Basic E.Q., high- and low pass, some boosts in the bass regions and cuts around 600, 950, 4000 and 6500 Hz and in the lower midrange. (the muddy-zones)
A high shelf aswell.
Multiband (4 bands) compression.
A bass enhancer (harmonic exciter), not tooo big.
Some stereo-'stuff' to widen it. (It improved the stereo field quite well, atleast to my ear.)
Some tape saturation and a limiter.

.mp3    MASTER1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.7 MB)