Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
'You Know Better' - m_tree Mix
Hi there,

nice song. Had fun mixing this. Comments and critique are welcome Smile

Update - Jan 30th
I implemented all points of critique: low-mids and bass of the guitars and vocals, brightness of the vocals, snare volume and organ volume (-2dB in the first chorus, -1dB after).

Because someone did a mastering of my already mastered MP3, I uploaded my non-mastered mix as 24bit PCM. This is easygoing for me, because I mix and master separately in general.

So, feel free to master, if you like Wink
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3nm3b7d57i8qf...x.wav?dl=0

Cheers Smile

.mp3    You Know Better - m_tree.mp3 --  (Download: 8.39 MB)

.mp3    You Know Better - m_tree V2 final.mp3 --  (Download: 8.39 MB)

Drummer and mixing engineer from Germany.
Hi m_tree

Really nice balance. I really like the snare sound you achieved.
Vocal sounds a bit bright to me, but that's it. Overall sounded great on the monitors.
Great mixing
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hi K,

thanks for your feedback. Smile

I supported the rimclick and snare with samples, recorded by myself (my own drums, freefield with a small condenser).

The vocal suffered from the proximity effect (distance to the mic was way too short here, I think). I compensated that with EQing, possibly I missed the mark a bit.

Cheers Smile
Good spacious mix. Nice use of the panned delays on the guitars. Particularly nice work on the drums. The samples fit well.

Vocal level and timbre sounds good to me.

Only thing that I noticed was the guitars sound a little thin, you have room in the mix to bring through the mids a bit more there.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(19-01-2019, 04:49 PM)jeffd42 Wrote: Good spacious mix. Nice use of the panned delays on the guitars. Particularly nice work on the drums. The samples fit well.

Vocal level and timbre sounds good to me.

Thank you. Smile

Quote:Only thing that I noticed was the guitars sound a little thin, you have room in the mix to bring through the mids a bit more there.

I register this definitely and I can follow your opinion. The guitars are a little bit thin (but not annoying) because they play simultaneously to the vocal, which needs room in the lower mids (for my taste). So I cutted there on the guitars for the vocals. My goal was to create a mix with clear priority on the lead vocals, but with good balances and present instruments, though.
Good Mixing .
Mastering ver.
Thanks
Good Mixing .
Mastering ver.
Thanks

.mp3    You Know Better-2019-01-29.mp3 --  (Download: 6.19 MB)

It feels pretty good. I'd just agree with some of the other comments about the vocal and guitar being a little thin. The organ is seems loud, especially in the first chorus. I like the sound of the snare but it might be too loud. Or maybe the vocal just has to be a little bigger and louder against it. Other than that that's all I noticed. Good job.
Thanks, Mono and RoyMatthews.

Updated mix with all points of critique. I also added my non-mastered mix, because 'Mono' did a mastering, which is very cool.

Feel free to comment, as usual. Smile
(30-01-2019, 06:09 PM)m_tree Wrote: Thanks, Mono and RoyMatthews.

Updated mix with all points of critique. I also added my non-mastered mix, because 'Mono' did a mastering, which is very cool.

Feel free to comment, as usual. Smile

Thanks very Good Job very fun time Thanks again Smile