Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carousel Ride - HB Mix
After mixing a few big productions it's a nice change to mix a small session.

Gone for a natural, unplugged sort of sound but with a bit of spit n polish to hang it all together.

Changed tack halfway through when i realized the drum was a tom rather than a kick so have ended up with a tighter less boomy low end.

.mp3    Carousel Ride_HB Mix 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 9.62 MB)

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Over all a very nice presentation. My only concern is the dynamics through the song. It seems to lose power when the chorus could be as or more powerful as the intro. Expressing the energy in this song is tough and I think the guitar tuning has a lot to do with that (or more accurately, mis-tuning).
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
The steady and clear presence of the vocal was the part I enjoyed the most (I remember it was a PITA to mix for me because the dynamics were all over the place). The slapback reverb for the claps thru the choruses are very nice, too.

First verse works great with that tight, almost mono soundstage. Maybe things could widen up a little more as the tune moves on. As it is, I agree with Mix that the choruses bite a little less than the verses. Maybe adding some effect (a prominent panned reverb) or layer over the floor tom could help. But for such a barebones recording I think the mix shows taste and control.