Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Still Flyin' - Spaghetti Mix
Started this last night and finished it off this morning. I feel like most of the sound was already there in the recording with this one so I didn't find the mix too difficult.

Like a few others have said in other posts, the kick isn't really all there so I ended up blending it with a sample. I aslo mixed in a room mic sample on the snare as the original is very dry. Reamped the lead guitars with an old Peavey we have and a ghetto tubescreamer.

I know this mix is old news now, it's been on here like 2 years I think, but I would still appreciate some feedback.

Cheers!

.mp3    Still Flyin Mixed.mp3 --  (Download: 10.43 MB)

Best mix out there. Period.
This is really good. I see you tamed the vocals (nice job). This song has been sitting on my hard drive for about 6 weeks (mostly done) waiting to learn drum replacement. One of the best songs on here - even though it scares the dog on first load of stems.

Your version is exactly as I thought it should sound.

Cheers boys! Yeah the multitrack is a little daunting at first because of the 500 vocal tracks, but luckily a lot of them are groups that can be processed together and there is quite a bit of comping/condensing that can be done. Once you get past that it's actually pretty straight forward, no more than 2 rhythm guitars at a time, bass, drums and keyboards. And the recording was really good for this type of music, I barely had to touch the guitars.

As for drum replacement, I think a lot of the big DAW's have it built in now which makes it really easy. If not, you can download demos of Slate Trigger ect. to see how you like it. I used to do it all by hand when I first got Pro Tools, just tabbing and pasting in samples or MIDI notes. Not the most fun you'll ever have haha.

Let me know when you finish up!
(20-02-2019, 02:33 PM)Pasta Wrote: As for drum replacement, I think a lot of the big DAW's have it built in now which makes it really easy. If not, you can download demos of Slate Trigger ect. to see how you like it. I used to do it all by hand when I first got Pro Tools, just tabbing and pasting in samples or MIDI notes. Not the most fun you'll ever have haha.
Ah, the old tab and paste. The Kenny Gioia technique I believe. (Oh god this just reminded me I've used PT off and on for almost 20 years...) I never had the patience.
I have Logic (9) on my laptop and while it does have native drum replacement it's so finicky. It'll miss the most obvious hits but trigger a fly sneezing on the wall. Sometimes I have to over trigger and remove extraneous notes. It's a pain. Though still better than having to route the console's oscillator at 80hz to a gate and sidechaining the kick. Or is it. Suddenly I'm nostalgic. I'm so old and I still suck...

Nice Mix! Bro!
Really Energetic